5 Things You Need For a 5-Minute Makeup Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Picture this: You wake up in the morning to a sun-shiny and happy day. But all of a sudden you look at your clock… and you freak out! You only have 10 minutes until you have to be in class!! Don’t freak out, though, we’ve all been there. 

Here are five things you need for a 5-minute makeup look (wow, so many fives!) to ensure cuteness just in time for class. Bonus: there’s a cheeky little tutorial video at the end. 

1. BB Cream or Foundation 

What I Used: Garnier Skin Perfector Daily Shine Control BB Cream in Light/Medium. 

This is a really great BB Cream because it’s thicker than most others, so you might not even need concealer. It evens out your skin tone while preventing oil from coming through. I love it as a BB Cream and as a primer, which makes it worth the money. It also comes in Anti-Aging, Anti-Acne, and Moisturizing formulas.

How to Use it: Squeeze a penny-sized amount onto your hand and spread evenly on your face, blending into the hairline and neck to avoid awkward makeup lines. 

2. Concealer  

What I Used: e.l.f. Under Eye Conceal & Highlighter in glow/light  

This is a great concealer because it’s inexpensive (only $3!) and provides a minimal amount of coverage that goes great with the thicker coverage of the BB Cream.  

How to Use it: Dot concealer onto dark circles and “problem spots,” then brush into a triangle shape under the eyes. Blend into skin by patting and brushing your fingers. 

OPTIONAL: Highlight your skin with the highlighter half. 

How to Use it: Dot the highlighter onto your cheekbones and forehead (aka where the light hits your face) and blend to create a light-catching and interesting contoured look without the bronzer. 

3. Blush 

What I Used: Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in 40-Pink Plum 

I love this blush because it reminds me of whipped cream, and the color looks like you just came in from the cold air outside. It comes in a bunch of different colors for you to choose from; it works the best with liquid foundation. 

How to Use it: Get a good amount on your finger, and then blend onto the apples of your cheeks, on your cheekbones, and toward your hairline. Place a small, less noticeable amount on the bridge of your nose, chin, and forehead for a more natural look.

4. Long Wear Eyeliner 

What I Used: e.l.f. Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in Black  

This is great eyeliner because it’s waterproof, but you can take it off with soap and/or makeup remover. It’s super easy to do winged eyeliner if you have trouble, and it comes in 8 different colors, too! 

How to Use it: Holding it at an angle, glide the eyeliner onto the eyelid as close to the lash line as possible to get desired thickness. If you have extra time and you’re feeling bold, sweep it up for a winged look! Apply a thin line from the center of your lower lash line and continue the liner outwards. 

5. Mascara 

What I Used: CoverGirl LashBlast Fusion Water Resistant in Very Black 

This is my all-time favorite mascara ever. It’s super thick and voluminous, and keeps your lashes looking plump and fabulous all day long. There are no flakes, and it doesn’t get clumpy if you want to add a lot of layers. 

How to Use it: Get a ton of mascara on the brush and apply to the upper lashes. Add more mascara to the brush and add more layers until you get your desired look (I usually do 3). Then, lightly apply to the bottom lashes. 

And that’s it! Here is the finished look!  

Check out the full tutorial below!

Zoe is a Senior at Boston University in the College of Communication, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in English and Psychology, and is the Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Originally from the Washington DC area, Zoe loves going to museums, concerts, and working at Baby Gap. In her free time, Zoe can be found crafting, watching Netflix, and scoping out the latest trends. Always catch her yelling enthusiastically about something, or making really corny jokes.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis