jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things to Make Your Time at BU Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

At the beginning of the semester, we are all adjusting to new schedules, new professors and 20-page syllabuses. I, for one, am settling into a routine and implementing tips I learned last semester. As a freshman, I still have A LOT to learn and plenty of tips to acquire; however, here are just a few things that I wish I knew first semester. So, whether you’re on the homestretch to graduation or anxiously waiting for your acceptance letter, I hope that these five tips will make your time at Boston University all the more better.

1. Rize Cafe and Bakery: Beneath the crowds and chaos of Marciano Commons lies Boston University’s hidden gem, Rize. The ambiance of Rize is a refreshing contrast from the outdated decor of Warren Dining hall. The menu is jam-packed with goodies and sandwiches that seem almost too good to be true. The menu itself is just as diverse as BU’s campus and gives tribute to campus landmarks. The “Hojo” sandwich is heavenly. So, grab some of your girlfriends and head to Rize for a relaxing bite to eat before your next class. Don’t feel guilty about spending money because Rize accepts dining points! Yippee!
  2. Studying at Bay State: Last semester I have to admit, I didn’t even know that students were even allowed on the 4 and 5th floors of 100 Bay State! So, when a friend showed me the 4th floor, I felt like I was shown a hidden world of BU. These floors are filled with modern furniture and plenty of tables. The space is the perfect place to catch up on reading or study for that midterm next week. Plus, you can head down to the dining hall or Rize for a quick snack!
  3. The best time to head to Starbucks: I am a coffee addict and no day is complete without a latte or iced coffee. I naively think I’m a Starbucks connoisseur. Through trial and error I learned the best times to grab my coffee. Personally, I believe that the best time to grab your coffee is in the afternoon. If you can’t wait till 2:00 p.m. to grab your coffee, then I suggest coming about 20 minutes before the popular class times (8:00, 9:30, 10:00). Don’t come ten minutes before your class expecting there to be no line; every other student on campus is also trying to grab their coffee before their class!
  4. The thrill of doing laundry: I hate everything about doing laundry. I hate squeezing my overstuffed laundry bag into the elevator and dragging it to the laundry room. Yes, I may be extremely lazy, but doing laundry is a process! I learned the hard way to NEVER do my laundry on a Sunday. Everyone is doing laundry on Sunday, so don’t even bother. I believe that the best time to do your laundry is early in the morning (preferably before 2 p.m.) on Thursdays and Fridays!
  5. Cranberry Farms at the GSU: I am not a major fan of the GSU. I think the crowds and lack of seats is too chaotic for me to handle. The lines at the stations limit my options if I’m in a rush before class. Rather than grabbing something from the pre-made refrigerator, I have recently learned that you can grab side orders from the Cranberry Farms. The tiny portion is the perfect size to satisfy your mashed potato craving and not feel guilty!

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."