5 Surefire Tips to Remember to Take Your Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

What girl doesn’t have a love/hate relationship with her birth control pills? They’re great for fighting acne, hormone imbalances, and keeping us baby-free for as long as we want. The downside? They only work if you actually remember to take them, a task that is much easier said than done! Every day, women around the world commit the cardinal sin of forgetting to take their birth control pill. We’ve all been there. Whether it’s been a long day or you decide to have a spontaneous sleepover at your friend’s house, it’s easy to let the thought of taking your pills slip your mind. Thankfully, HCBU is here to bring an end to this unfortunate situation. We’ve comprised a list of five foolproof tools to make sure you never forget to take those little white pills again.

1. Set a nightly alarm

Set your phone alarm for the same time every day (preferably a time when you know you definitely won’t be busy) so you get a loud and obvious reminder that you need to take your pills.

2. Keep your pills near by

Try putting your pills somewhere you always have easy access to, like your wallet, purse, or backpack.

3. Download an app

Nowadays, apps like MyPill, Bedsider, or Natural Cycles are available to anyone with a smart phone and make forgetting to take the pill a thing of the past.

4.  Leave yourself a note on your laptop

Before closing your laptop when you head home from class, leave a sticky note or piece of paper with a message like “birth control” or “bc” in your laptop so the next time you open your computer to do your homework you’ll come face-to-face with a reminder

5. Have someone else remind you

Whether it’s your significant other or your mom, have someone you trust to be reliable text you a nightly/daily reminder to take your pills incase you forget.

Savanna Tavakoli is a 21-year-old journalism student at Boston University. Savanna plans to use journalism as a platform for educating the public about everything from current political issues to which celebrities just tied the knot. Her interests include pop culture, female empowerment, advocating for gender and sexual equality, red lipstick, m&m cookies, and binge-watching Netflix in her free time.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis