This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I know the weather right now doesn’t exactly scream “spring,” but this is my attempt at manifesting sunnier days. Spring is one of my favorite times of the year because it’s finally time to put away the dark, dull shades of gray in our wardrobes and replace them with brighter tones of yellow and all things pastel. While I will forever love my basic pair of denim shorts, I’ve loved experimenting with different silhouettes as of late. Here are some of my favorites:

Midi skirts

Okay, honestly, I was super skeptical about trying this one, mostly because I thought it would turn out to be a classic case of “what I ordered online vs. what it actually looks like.” But after toying with the idea and scrolling through my favorite brands’ websites, I decided to give it a go, and I was sold. Midi skirts are fun, feminine, and scream spring-to-summer. For all my short gals, try buying one that’s wrap-around or has frills on the bottom — this helps create the illusion of height. 

Maxi dresses

This one has been a wardrobe favorite for a long time now, especially since quarantine hit, because who doesn’t want to look put-together without the extra effort? A maxi dress is basically your solution to the everlasting “what should I wear today?” question. This flattering piece of clothing can be dressed up for the night, dressed down for the day, and is easy, breezy, and most importantly, comfy for a day at home. What more can you ask for?

Denim jackets

Okay, hold up. Although the basic denim jacket is definitely a closet staple, I’ve been into pastel denim jackets that are slightly oversized to add a bit of edge. I don’t know what it is about denim jackets, but they just have the gift of transforming an everyday outfit into something a little dressier. Especially with the extra pop of color from the pastels. I have a pastel green one from H&M, which is super affordable, great quality, and, obviously, evergreen (sorry, I just had to with that PUN)! 

Flared jeans

These have been trending for a while now, but they’ve literally grown to become the most loved item in my closet because of how flattering and versatile they are. As a skinny girl, these are my go-to bottoms because they highlight my body’s shape without making me look too skinny (yes, it’s a real struggle). I’m so used to wearing flared jeans now, that honestly, I can’t even wear skinny jeans anymore! It may seem a little dramatic to you, but once you try a pair of my fave-flares, I promise you’ll get the hype. 

Crochet anything

It’s no secret that crochet is the new cool this season, but I’d never really been a fan because it’s always been a hit or miss in my books. But I recently saw a couple of crochet hairbands online from one of my all-time favorite brands, and my crochet crush turned into a full-blown love affair in no time. A crochet dress or cropped top with a midi skirt is ideal for a beachy day or a late spring-break getaway — effortless, breezy, and feminine! 

Here’s to hoping for a sunny spring day (or many) so that we can finally ditch the dullness and embrace the light— because let’s face it— this cold, miserable weather ain’t helping anyone.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

My name is Anoushka. I am a Senior at Boston University, studying Journalism and Advertising. I am from Mumbai, India, the land of spices, culture, and colour. I love singing and basically anything that screams music. When I'm not writing or belting the notes to my favourite Adele song, I enjoy trying new foods (cooking and eating, of course), travelling around the globe, and looking for new ingredients to add to my superfood stash.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.