black vinyl record playing on turntable 1389429jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
black vinyl record playing on turntable 1389429jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

5 Songs that Sound Nostalgic from the First Listen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Have you ever put on a song for the first time and already felt a special attachment to it, like you knew it by heart? Here are 5 songs that I think evoke that feeling.

“The Lovely Universe” – Circulatory System

This song by the experimental indie-pop band, Circulatory System, has a happy, bouncy tempo with kind of brassy instrumentals in the background. The wishy-washy vocals mixed in with all of this give it a feeling like you’re happy, but you’re not really sure why or how long it’ll last. It’s great for both mindless and mindful listening.

“Open Season” – High Highs

This song has definitely been in a couple of early-to-mid-2000’s movie soundtracks. It’s got that trademark, predictable melody and delicate guitar strumming, but it still manages to make you feel a little bit sad and a little bit hopeful at the same time.

“Dana Be Mine” – TC Superstar

While I often think of nostalgic songs as slow ballad-types, this is the complete opposite. As an upbeat indie song with an extremely catchy hook, this song will have you singing along and yearning in the happiest way possible.

“Buddha” – Macy Gray

I. Love. This. Song. It’s just so comforting. Macy Gray has one of the most unique voices in pop music, which is so fun to listen to, and this song is a phenomenal mix of soul, rock. and pop.

“Hey Moon”– John Maus

This is pretty much the quintessential nostalgic song, both sound, and lyric-wise. I first heard it in the intro of the movie Big Time Adolescence and had to look it up because it seemed way sadder than just an intro of a coming-of-age comedy. This song really can fit so many different moods though.

If you’re looking for some music to feed into your nostalgic winter mood, these are some songs I recommend you check out. I hope you enjoy!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Anika is a sophomore at Boston University studying Media Science and Psychology. She is from San Diego, CA and enjoys going to the beach, doing yoga and listening to music.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.