5 Reasons to Watch Friday Night Lights Before it Leaves Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I found out the news via Instagram that Friday Night Lights was being taken off of Netflix, a little part of me died. When I tell you I’m obsessed with this show, I mean I am obsessed with this show. I have Tim Riggins’ jersey and have watched all of the seasons through four times. My goal is to get as many people as possible as obsessed with it as I am! Here are some reasons, although you only really need one (see number 5), why you should binge watch FNL before it’s too late.

1. It’s inspiring.

On the surface, it may seem like this show is about football. Don’t let that scare you away though because it’s really not. Each season touches on serious issues such as assault, drug use, and racism. Seeing the characters overcome said issues is inspiring, relatable, and makes you love them even more. Also, Coach Taylor gives the best advice. His famous line, “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose,” is what I repeat to myself when I’m at the gym and just don’t really feel like being on the treadmill anymore.

2. It’s an emotional investment.

When each episode ends, it feels like my life is being ripped apart, but in a good way. This show follows all of its characters so intensely that you feel like you know them personally. You’ll find yourself on the verge of tears when they lose a game, rejoicing when you find out Tammy is pregnant and crying when Matt and Julie break up. The character development is what makes the show so addictive because there’s always some storyline that you’ll find interesting.

3. When your school doesn’t have a football team, this will do.

Everything that comes with going to a really exciting football game is just one click away! I mean it when I say I get more anxious about made-up games on this TV show than I do about real ones. They don’t win every game, which makes it perfectly unpredictable.

4. The Taylors are seriously couple goals.

Coach and Tammy, Tammy and Coach. If you’re having trouble with your significant other, show them an episode of FNL and I swear they will immediately know how to treat you right. The Taylors emulate what it means to love someone unconditionally; at the same time, they aren’t perfect. Again, this is what makes the show so great because it’s relatable. You’re able to see an example of how a relationship could actually work, unlike some shows where it’s just too impractical.

5. Tim Riggins.

There really aren’t any words to describe his beauty. Bless him and his long locks and chiseled abs. Yes, Tim is major eye candy, but it’s important to note that he’s my favorite character on the show not because of his looks, but because of who he is as a person. He adds a humor to the show and is kind, selfless, thoughtful, and easy to love.

And with that, I hope you click off of this article, open Netflix, and begin the journey that is watching Friday Night Lights. If you need any more reasons, click here and here! HCXO! 

Cover photo from the Today Show. 

Emily is from New Jersey and is a freshman at BU. She loves her dog, the beach, and The Office (not in any particular order).
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.