This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Have you been wondering if podcasts are worth the hype? Well, that was me over the summer. It suddenly seemed like podcasts were everywhere, from social media posts to conversations with my friends and family. I thought, “What’s so good about listening to some random person talk for an hour?” Finally, I decided to find out if podcasts were as awesome as everyone said.

Fast forward a few months, and I can’t go a week without spending some time browsing for new ones, and I listen to a few religiously. In honor of International Podcast Day, which was on Sunday, September 30th, here are the five podcasts I think you’ve been missing out on!

1. Revisionist History

In this podcast, each episode takes a look at an interesting event in history or a modern issue and breaks them down in an engaging and informative way. The writing is great, and I’ve listened to all three seasons without getting bored. Listening to this podcast makes me feel much smarter, and at the end of each episode, I feel like I have a better grasp on complex issues. This one makes you think.

2. Chicks in the Office 

Anybody else feel like they’re always behind in pop culture? That was me before I started listening to Chicks in the Office. Two funny ladies, Ria and Francesca, host this podcast for Barstool Sports and fill you in on all things pop culture. I listen to this one when I’m getting ready in the morning, or as a way to decompress after a long day. It’s lighthearted and makes me laugh while I listen to the hilarious things these girls talk about.

3. TED Radio Hour

When I feel like I have some extra time on my hands, I’ll put on an interesting TED Talk. I used to browse YouTube for these, but now I go the TED Radio Hour because any one that I click is going to be amazing. The best ones make it to this podcast. So far, I’ve listened to experts tell me about lots of things, from the modern school system to the relationship between humans and animals. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

4. Embedded

I’m somebody who likes to keep up with politics. I find it interesting and now that I’m old enough to vote, I want to be well-informed. Embedded is a podcast that breaks down the bigger and more confusing issues in politics and makes them much clearer. When I was overwhelmed because I didn’t understand what everyone meant by “obstruction of justice” or “collusion” in regards to the Trump presidency, Embedded was there with episodes explaining both.

5. Tiny Meat Gang

There’s nothing better than being a fly on the wall during conversations between funny people. With this podcast, the listener gets to keep up with running jokes and the funny shenanigans in the lives of Viners-turned-YouTubers, Cody Ko and Noel Miller. Just like number two on this list, I like to listen to this one when I’m getting ready or chilling after classes. They talk about their thoughts on current topics, as well as the hilarious things they experience in day to day life.           

Podcasts are great. There is one to serve almost any purpose you could ever need. There are podcasts about politics, music, art, humor, advice, and more. To me, they’re worth the hype and then some. I hope you find some enjoyment from the podcasts on this list or any of the countless others out there. Happy listening!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Keeley Bombard is a sophomore at Boston University studying Environmental Analysis and Policy. Although she was born in Boston, she grew up in Rochester Hills, Michigan. She loves dancing, reading, writing, listening to music, watching movies, and being around her friends. She loves to connect with people over topics she is passionate about through writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.