5 New Bands to Help You Through Winter Depression 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Each winter seems to get colder, lonelier, and more isolating. Especially after COVID-19, being alone during the indoor season can feel overwhelming. Finding new music to keep you company while you watch the snow from your window is a must.

Here is a list of five relatable upcoming artists dealing with the same seasonal depression as us. 

Noah Kahan

This New England folk-pop singer reminisces on life in his hometown, the changing of seasons, and growing older. His album Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever) particularly addresses the loneliness that comes with the change of seasons and the change of the pace of life.

Kahan himself recalls the album being inspired by the first snowfall in his hometown and how devastating it was to see sunny, colorful New England become a lackluster desert.

His music will remind you of your hometown in all the worst and best ways. He will make you want to look out at the snow and think about the best parts of being a child and the worst parts of becoming an adult. At the end of the album, you will feel seen and heard by the relatable experiences of growing up in New England.

Hey, Nothing

Hey, Nothing is a pair of high school boys who will remind you of growing up in a small town. Their music is perfect for the winter blues since it will help you feel the joys of being young again.

Their youthful energy is palpable through their high-energy singing and, like a fond memory, it is bound to make you smile. Like Noah Kahan, they sing folk-indie/alternative music with acoustic guitar and raspy voices.

Listening to Hey, Nothing will send you back in time to when you left your hometown for college, fell in love, and found yourself wrapped up in life’s chaos.

Zoe Ko

Zoe Ko is a change of pace from the previous two artists. She is high-speed and packs a punch. Her larger-than-life songs will make you want to angrily throw snowballs at brick walls and take back your life in the dead of winter. She will ensure you’re not sitting still but instead doing more to change your situation.

Her new EP, “Baby Teeth,” contains the loss of childhood wrapped in a neat rhinestone-dazzled pop-punk bow. Another one of her songs, “Pink Noise,” will make you want to throw a dance party in your room and track snow inside without caring to clean it up. 

The Blue Stones

This rock band will make you ditch your Patagonia jacket and throw on your leather one instead. Their confidence-boosting album Pretty Monster will have you ignoring the cold.

The songs are punk and heavy, but don’t let that dissuade you. The Blue Stones are incredible songwriters and even better composers. The sound of the bass alone will be enough to keep you warm.

Peter McPoland

Peter McPoland is a singer-songwriter from Texas who creates dynamic indie-rock and folk-punk music.

His most recent album Piggy can’t be described as anything other than chilly. The angsty album will make you feel less alone in this time of seasonal despair.

These five artists will join you in the depths of your seasonal depression and help you feel less alone. Through Good music, we can uplift ourselves This winter. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

I am a member of bu her campus. I am 18 and from New York.