alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Movies That Made Me Love Wes Anderson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

While most people I know recognize Wes Anderson as the director of Moonrise Kingdom, I most clearly remember him for a few different films. His cinematic style is extremely unique, really catches the eye, and always provides for laughs even in his darker productions. I always look forward to his new movies coming out because I can always count on great entertainment and a beautiful aesthetic. Also, I love how Anderson casts many of the same actors in his films, which makes watching his movies seem more intertwined. Here are five of Anderson’s movies that made me fall in love with this director!

Rushmore (1998)

Rushmore was one of my first Anderson films. It’s a quirky, coming-of-age film, featuring Jason Schwartzman (one of my favorite actors), who you will find smart, yet fun. 

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

A lot of critics don’t like this particular Anderson movie, but I find it refreshing, for it has a slightly different style than his other movies. I wouldn’t recommend watching The Royal Tenenbaums first if you haven’t seen any other Anderson films, but definitely give it a watch eventually.

Hotel Chevalier (2007)

This one isn’t really a movie (it’s only about 13 minutes long) but it is CAPTIVATING! Jason Schwartzman and Natalie Portman intensely contrast each other playing old lovers, and the beautiful music playing in the background adds to the wonderful cinematic style.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Understandably one of the most popular Anderson movies. Exploding with witty dialogue and cunning actors, The Grand Budapest Hotel is my favorite movie to watch over and over again. It never gets old, and I always find a new clever addition that I never noticed before.

Isle of Dogs (2018)

This is a super cute movie with a much deeper meaning. I also really admire the time and effort that this movie required, as it is a stop motion film. AND THE DOGS ARE SO CUTE!

Anderson has plenty more movies that are also extremely good, but definitely give these a watch!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.