photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash
Life > Experiences

The 5 Most Important Elements of Every Friendsgiving Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Everyone knows that Friendsgiving is just as important as Thanksgiving––it is a rite of passage amongst friends. With all the besties coming back from college, it’s a perfect time to celebrate the reunion with food that makes you drool, friends that feel like family, and traditions that keep the nostalgia coming in full-force. Here are some of the most important parts of every Friendsgiving to get the ideas rolling.

Food, obviously, but only the best food

While Thanksgiving is the day for family and home-cooked meals, Friendsgiving is the day for best friends and whatever food you want. If you just want to sit together and pig out on junk food from the grocery store, that’s totally fine. If you want to be a master chef and create a perfect home-cooked meal, that’s amazing, too. If you all just want to go out to dinner and avoid the hassle of organizing a party, that also sounds perfect. On Friendsgiving, anything goes, because as long as you’re with your favorite people in the whole world, the day will be perfect no matter what you do.

Friends, duh, but only the best friends

Like I said before, Friendsgiving is a day for the best of friends to eat tons of food, have loads of fun, and be extremely happy. Invite the people who make your face hurt from smiling, the people who make you snort wine out of your nose wine from laughing, the people who make you feel at home, and the people that have become your family. There is no room for negative energy on the best day of the year.

Games, stories, and fun

You can’t have a party without games and stories. Sit around some bowls of food, and tell funny stories––even tell ghost stories (who says it’s not still spooky season). Board games are always a must on Friendsgiving––Scrabble, Monopoly, and Clue are classics. Card games like Cards Against Humanity and Apples to Apples are also great choices. Who knows, maybe even pull out “What Do You Meme?” for some fun.

A playlist full of nostalgia and holiday spirit

What’s Friendsgiving without the perfect playlist? Your music on Friendsgiving can be absolutely anything you want––it’s your day to pick the tunes. From soft, mellow fall acoustic tunes to cheery holiday songs (we all bring out Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas Is You a little too early), your music is completely up to you. Choose whatever songs will make you and your friends the happiest. If you want some ideas, though, I have provided a lovely playlist above for some inspiration.

Re-runs of Friends Thanksgiving Episodes

Let’s face it, Friends is always iconic, but the Thanksgiving episodes are among the most iconic. You just can’t beat Monica and Joey with unbaked turkeys on their heads, Phoebe telling stories of her past lives, and Chandler’s irrational fear of all things Thanksgiving. So cue up Netflix on your TV and play those episodes on re-run. It’s the perfect element to complete your Friendsgiving.

No matter what you decide to do for Friendsgiving, you will have the most amazing time if you are simply with your friends. After all, friends are what Friendsgiving is named after, so grab your favorite people for a night of endless food and fun.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Isabelle Durso, and I am a sophomore at Boston University studying Journalism and Film & TV at the College of Communication! I am so excited to be a part of this amazing, empowering community of young women.