Halloween Hub Concept 2019 Static Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Halloween Hub Concept 2019 Static Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

5 Halloween Movies for People Who Hate Scary Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Spooky season is finally upon us! With this time comes all the blood and gore. So many of the things we associate with Halloween are terrifying, but there are so many people who don’t like the scary aspects of this holiday. Listed below are five of the best Halloween movies for those of us who don’t enjoy horror, so that can still enjoy the spooky season!

Halloween Town Franchise

The Halloween Town Franchise is one of the most iconic Halloween movie series ever! It follows the Cromwell family, specifically the eldest daughter Marnie, as they battle villains threatening the magical Halloween Town. This movie is great for people who want to enjoy all the fun monsters and magic of Halloween without the scariness. It’s great for families or just you and your friends! And there are four movies in the series so you can enjoy a fun movie marathon.

Casper

Every 90s or early 00s kid has seen Casper. If you want a fun movie with ghosts then this is the movie for you. The movie follows Casper as he struggles with being a ghost. He wants to be a friendly ghost, not one that scares people. Then he meets Kat Harvey, the girl who moves into the mansion Casper lives in. The two quickly fall in love but face the difficulties of a ghost and a non-ghost relationship. This movie is sweet and funny and will definitely have you crying by the end.

The Addams Family

There are so many Addams Family movies to choose from that you’ll be set for the entire spooky season. The franchise follows the Addams Family who are a little strange as they go through the many crazy situations that they get themselves into. This franchise is perfect for those who want a lighthearted comedy with spooky elements. Also, there is a recent cartoon version for those who prefer that.

The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

This is one of the most iconic Halloween movies ever. It airs every year on ABC, however this year it is streaming on Apple+. It follows the peanut gallery as they get ready for Halloween. Linus writes his yearly letter to the Great Pumpkin, a figure that makes an appearance every Halloween. No one believes that the Great Pumpkin is real, so Linus is alone on his journey to find it. This is a great movie for kids and families to watch together. Also, since it airs every year it’s a great tradition to start with people around you.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Rocky Horror is a cult classic Halloween movie. This movie is great for those who love musicals. The movie follows a couple who end up with a flat tire and find themselves at the hotel of Dr. Frank-n-furter, a transvestite– a term specifically used in the movie– scientist. Throughout the movie, the couple encounters so many weird characters until they meet the scientist’s latest creation, a hunky man named “Rocky.” The movie is super campy and a fun watch if you still want those supernatural elements.

With Halloween plans canceled this year due to COVID – don’t party, please – watching a fun Halloween movie is a great way to spend the holiday. So grab a cozy blanket and some snacks and get ready to watch a fun spooky movie!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.