5 Great Books About Mental Illness and Trauma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you have found some extra time during this social distancing period, then it’s the perfect moment to pick up some books that you have been meaning to read for a while. Here are some of my favorite, hard-hitting contemporary novels that will hit you right in the feels.

‘Turtles All the Way Down’ by John Green

This book is an own-voices novel about a girl struggling through the worst phases of her OCD. Many people have read some of John Green’s other books, such as The Fault in Our Stars or Paper Towns, but I’d argue that this book is his best work to date. Even though I cannot personally speak to the representation, I felt seen by the characters in a way that I have never experienced. There is also a mystery aspect to this book, which keeps the plot intriguing; however, where this book truly shines is its OCD representation.

‘The Way I Used to Be’ by Amber Smith

Get the tissues out because this one is a tear-jerker (and very emotionally heavy). In the very first scene of this book, our main character Eden is violently raped. The story is told in four parts, each one following a different year of high school. The most interesting part of this book is that the main character isn’t always likable. In fact, she very frequently makes decisions that frustrate readers; however, I feel that this is what makes the book so realistic. This book tackles rape culture and beautifully depicts how people respond to trauma.

‘Beard in Mind’ by Penny Reid

On a lighter note, Beard in Mind is a rom-com that shows how every person deserves love. Our main character Shelly suffers from OCD, and the representation of mental illness in this novel is truly beautiful. My favorite part about this is that Shelly currently seeks out treatment in the book. There are constant themes in the novel that portray how mental illness is a constant battle and does not just easily go away. I think that too often, we see main characters get into relationships and suddenly have their problems completely fixed. That’s not the case with this book—Shelly remains in therapy even after she is in a relationship and she still struggles with her illness on a daily basis.

‘Eliza and Her Monsters’ by Francesca Zappia

Eliza and Her Monsters is not just a book about a girl struggling with her mental illness, but it’s also a love letter to fanfiction that I feel many readers could relate to. Eliza runs her own webcomic and has a very popular online social life, but in real life, she is seen as a friendless outcast. Eliza just tries to get through high school while she copes with anxiety. This book is raw and real, but it also has its more lighthearted moments.

‘History is All You Left Me’ by Adam Silvera

This book is about Griffin, whose first love and ex-boyfriend, Theo, tragically passes away, which leaves him crippled with grief. As a result, Griffin’s OCD starts to spiral. The only person who understands what he is going through is Jackson, who was Theo’s boyfriend at the time of his death. In order to move on from this tragedy, Griffin learns to confront his grief and mental illness. It’s dark, yet breathtaking, and it is a must-read for anyone interested.

I hope you enjoy these books as much as I do!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook​, follow us on I​nstagram,​ check out our ​Pinterest​ board, and read our latest Tweets​!

Hello, I'm Maura! I'm a pre-med junior at Boston University who obsessively reads romance books and watches The Bachelor. Somehow, I turned my her campus articles into my own personal book blog, so I hope you enjoy the bookish content! Let's be friends on goodreads! https://www.goodreads.com/mauradelaney
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.