Life > Experiences

5 Fun Ways to Keep in Touch with Your Home Bestie in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Moving to another city or country for college can be daunting, especially when you’re forced to part with people who you’ve come to know and love throughout childhood. But don’t fret — here are five creative ways to keep in touch with your bestie until the next time you see them.

Make a Playlist for Each Other

Sharing music is a great way to showcase your platonic love for your bestie and to let them know you’re thinking of them. If you hear any song that you think they might like or one that reminds you of them, throw it in a Spotify playlist and send it over so they have something to listen to while they study. I mean, what better way to pass the time than with a custom playlist from their best friend? 

Send a Polaroid Postcard

Share your experiences by sending a Polaroid Postcard from places you’ve visited. Whether it’s from a museum or a city you’ve recently traveled to, souvenirs like postcards bring your bestie along the journey even though you can’t be together side-by-side. Plus, they can also serve as cute room decor.

Write Letters to Each Other

If you’ve seen To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, you know the power of a handwritten letter. When you aren’t able to share every little detail of your day via Facetime or text, letters are an extremely sentimental and personal way to keep your friends updated. Documenting your life and emotions can also be therapeutic and your friend will be sure to appreciate the time and effort you took to write out something for them.   

Send a Gift to Let Them Know You’re Thinking of Them

Surprise your bestie by sending a gift their way. Stressed for midterms? Send some facemasks. Just moved into a new dorm or apartment? Send a succulent for decoration. Feeling under the weather? Send a care package of tissues and cough drops. Especially if your bestie is homesick, the best feeling is coming home to receive a package from someone they love. 

Schedule a Time to Meet When You See Each Other Again

For when you eventually reunite, having a set date and place to go to together will give you an event you can both look forward to. Pick a café or area that you guys have never been to for new memories or meet up at your favorite restaurant back home to catch up in a familiar setting.  

Being in a long-distance friendship can be difficult at times but hopefully these ideas bring you closer to your bestie despite the miles between both of you.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jeanzelle Soliven (also known as Jean) is currently a Sophomore studying Film/TV at Boston University. Jean is a talkative person with a creative soul that loves to entertain and connect with others. In her free time, she enjoys journaling, baking, watching movies, and spending time with friends, family, and her dog. Jean also has a major sweet tooth so you'll be sure to find her making matcha lattes at the nearest dining hall or scouting out the nearest boba shop.