I am laying on Landis Green with pink shoes
Musammat Uddin

5 Fun Socially Distant Activities To Do in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Warm weather doesn’t last forever (especially in Boston), so get outside while you can! We are so lucky that we get to go to school in a place that isn’t just a college campus—we have an entire city out there waiting for us with amazing sights, delicious food, and cool activities. Use this list of socially distanced activities in Boston to have fun and stay safe before the cold kicks in. And remember: wear a mask!

Picnic in the park

Although Boston is a bustling city with beautiful buildings, there are also tons of parks and green spaces where you can sit to do work, read a good book, or have a super cute picnic with friends. If you want to stay close to BU, you can keep it simple and head to the BU beach or the esplanade for a quick bite. If you want to get out into the city, you can go to the Boston Public Garden or the Boston Common to be surrounded by city life as you eat. There are also so many more green spaces and small parks in Boston and its surrounding areas, so grab your picnic blanket, whip up some great food, and take your friends for a fun picnic day in Beantown.

Check out the museums

One of the main reasons why I wanted to go to a school in Boston is because of the endless amount of opportunities this city has to offer. There is always a new place to explore, a new restaurant to eat at, or a new sight to see. And the museums in Boston are no exception. There are so many amazing museums in Boston, whether it’s the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts, The Institute of Contemporary Art, or even the Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum. Each museum is so unique, beautiful, and fascinating, so I highly recommend going to one with a friend sometime this fall (with a mask on, of course!).

Kayak along the Charles

Kayaking along the Charles River is such a unique and fun activity to do, especially right now while it’s warm. You can take in the amazing views of the Boston skyline and the esplanade, all while getting a major workout. Paddle Boston is a great place to rent a kayak for the day–and with great deals! You can rent each kayak for a maximum of 3 hours, so make the most of your time in Boston by doing something super fun and socially distant.

Support local businesses at a farmers market

Farmers markets are the perfect places to go on a Sunday morning when you’re feeling good and refreshed. There are so many different farmers markets in Boston, the big ones being SoWa Open Market and Boston Public Market. But for a cohesive and combined list of all the markets in Boston, click here. Going to farmers markets is a great way to give back to small, local businesses and buy some cute decorations, good food, and unique items for your home. This is definitely a must for this fall season (just remember to stay socially distant!).

Visit the historic sights of Boston

If there’s one thing Boston has no shortage of, it’s history. So many college students in Boston have not even walked the Freedom Trail, so I think this activity is definitely something you need to do if you’re interested in our town’s history. And the Freedom Trail is a great place to start–its trail sites include the Massachusetts State House, King’s Chapel Burying Ground, the Boston Massacre Site, Faneuil Hall, Bunker Hill Monument, and so many more. There are also always people reenacting historic events dressed up in their best 1800s gear. Boston is such a historic, lively, and vibrant city, so take advantage of all it has to offer!

Even though we need to social distance and wear masks for the time being, we can still make the most of it and try things we wouldn’t normally do. So next time you find yourself thinking that you’re bored, try one of these activities and you may find that you’ll have more fun than you ever would in a frat basement anyway.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Isabelle Durso, and I am a sophomore at Boston University studying Journalism and Film & TV at the College of Communication! I am so excited to be a part of this amazing, empowering community of young women.