5 Female Musicians of Color You Should Check Out

With so many platforms for musicians like YouTube and Soundcloud across the Internet, there are new artists popping up left and right every day. It's hard to choose an artist to jam to with this many choices! Here are five female musicians of color that you'll want to add to your playlist:

1. Kina Grannis

With a guitar and a voice that can lull a baby to sleep, Kina Grannis sings songs that are worthy of being in a coffeehouse playlist. The Californian artist has many accomplishments under her belt, including winning the 2008 Doritos Crash the Super Bowl contest and making a cameo appearance singing her rendition of Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling in Love” in the blockbuster movie Crazy Rich Asians. Her bittersweet song “History” reminds listeners to hold onto their happy memories from the past while living in the moment.

2. Ravyn Lenae

Ravyn Lenae weaves in her dreamy and mellow voice with amazing beats. Hailing from the South Side of Chicago, this young R&B artist is unafraid to experiment and play around with different styles. Her musical genius shines in her songs as they are mosaics composed of elements from different musical genres. Her song “The Night Song” transports listeners back to the 90s as she sings about being her own person.

3. Raveena

With a voice smooth as silk and soft as feathers, Raveena has the ability to piece together a gorgeous array of words into a song that can make you forget even your biggest worries. This New York-based Indian American singer advocates for self love in her songs as she sings about everything from love to meditating. Her beautifully sung song “If Only” focuses on healing and self-acceptance after an abusive relationship.

4. Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas

Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas have a repertoire of quirky and energy-packed songs that will make your head bop to the beat. Their front-woman, Jessica Hernandez, has a powerful voice that fits in perfectly with the band’s unique sound that is rooted in psychedelic surf and Latin American music. A second generation Cuban and Mexican American, Hernandez makes sure to include various aspects from her cultural identity into the songs as shown in the song “Run Too Far” where elements from Latin American beats and psychedelic surf beats meld together while Hernandez croons about a toxic relationship.  

5. Jennifer Chung

Soothing and pleasing to the ear, Jennifer Chung’s sultry voice makes her songs the perfect pick me up. Originally from California, she is currently based in Atlanta, Georgia where she sings and writes songs. In her song “If Only” she gives a powerful response to all the criticism she received about her body by celebrating body positivity.  

If you’re looking for something new to add to your Spotify playlist, make sure check out these amazing women. Their songs will give the punch your playlist needs!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!