5 Female-Driven Films to See This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Fall is always a great time for films – since most Oscar contenders are released in the last four months of the year, there’s almost never a dull week for movies.  It’s also been almost a year since the Harvey Weinstein scandal, which has resulted in newfound interest and support for films starring and created by women. Let’s take a look at just five films, by, about, and/or starring women, coming to theaters this fall:

1. Bad Reputation

In Bad Reputation, Joan Jett relives the ups and downs of her rock career. (directed by Kevin Kerslake; starring Joan Jett, Debbie Harry, and Miley Cyrus; coming Sept. 28)

Credit: AXS

“Tell me I can’t do something, and I’m gonna be doing it,” says rock star Joan Jett in Kevin Kerslake’s documentary about her decade-spanning career. The film focuses on Jett’s struggles to combat sexist attacks on her music and what it took for her to break into the industry (what she calls a “boys’ club”) as a woman. Commentary by other female musicians, including Debbie Harry, Kathleen Hanna, and Miley Cyrus, accompanies archival and more recent footage of Jett.

2. Little Women

The themes of family and sisterhood in Little Women are timeless even 150 years later. (directed by Clare Niederpruem; starring Sarah Davenport, Lea Thompson, and Melanie Stone; coming Sept. 28)

Credit: Parent Previews

2018 marks the 150th anniversary of Louisa May Alcott’s iconic novel, and it’s clear the book’s message about sisterhood still resonates with young women to this day. Clare Niederpruem’s adaptation is the seventh film version since 1917 (Lady Bird director Greta Gerwig is also adapting the book, set to be released next year). However, Niederpruem’s film is unique in that it’s the first adaptation to take place in a modern setting.

3. All About Nina

Nina (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) must balance her comedy career with her relationship with Rafe (Common). (directed by Eva Vives; starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Common, and Chace Crawford; coming Sept. 28)

Credit: The Film Experience

All About Nina stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead (you may remember her as Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) as Nina, a heck of a comedian but an emotional wreck of a human being. When an opportunity to host her own comedy special comes up, she must try to start a new life in L.A., which involves an unexpected romance with Rafe (Common) and a period of reflection on her past self.

4. Over the Limit

Rhythmic gymnast Margarita Mamun faced mental and physical struggles to make it to the Rio 2016 Olympics. (directed by Marta Prus; starring Margarita Mamun, Yana Kudryavtseva, and Irina Viner; coming Oct. 5)

Credit: Variety

Over the Limit follows Russian rhythmic gymnast Margarita Mamun’s journey to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Polish director Marta Prus captures the endurance tests of mind and body Mamun overcame in the months leading up to the games. Rigorous training sessions are photographed in stunning and crisp images that perfectly capture Mamun’s calm demeanor even when facing so much pressure. Originally released in Amsterdam in 2017, the film will make its debut in the U.S. on October 5.

5. A Private War

War journalist Marie Colvin sought to tell the world the truth about war and its consequences. (directed by Matthew Heineman; starring Rosamund Pike, Jamie Dornan, Stanley Tucci; coming Nov. 16)

Credit: Empire Online

American journalist Marie Colvin spent nearly forty years covering war in the Middle East before an explosive killed her while she was covering the Syrian civil war in 2012. In Matthew Heineman’s film, Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl) plays the eye-patched, award-winning writer as she covers the frontlines and, with photojournalist Paul Conroy (Jamie Dornan), shows the world the true horrors of war.

This fall’s films offer diverse and interesting stories about women from a variety of different backgrounds. From relatable comedies to dramatic biopics to documentaries about personal struggles, there’s something for everyone, so get out there, buy tickets, and support these women’s stories!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ausma Palmer is a writer, photographer, and filmmaker from New York. She is currently a journalism student at Boston University and specializes in writing opinion pieces on gender issues and politics, as well as film and book reviews.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.