Style

5 Essentials for Transitioning Your Wardrobe from Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As much as it pains me to say this, sweater weather is officially upon us. As someone who has grown up in a city where it’s perpetually summer, I have begun mourning the loss of the beautiful 80-degree weather: the days when the warmth and sunshine were taken for granted and our wardrobes were clad with shorts, flowy dresses and all things that scream summer. 

While the loss of sunshine is sad, I’ll be the first to admit that with the leaves turning here in Boston, it’s the perfect opportunity to spice up your wardrobe (and the ‘gram!) with some layers, textures, and colors. So, from the classic booties to denim, here’s my list of five wardrobe essentials to help you navigate your wardrobe through this confusing conundrum that’s somewhere in between summer and fall. 

Ankle Length Boots

Nothing screams fall like a cute pair of ankle booties! Their innate ability to pull any outfit together makes them a true must-have for me. While they can be paired with a pair of basic skinnies and a pull-over sweater on a nippy day, ankle-length boots can also be used to dress up a casual dress when transitioning from a day to night look. Looking for a pair with some sort of detailing such as a buckle, fringe or different texture (suede seems to be a fav!) can help add subtle details that pull your everyday look together. 

Fluffy Jacket

I mean… is it really fall if you don’t have a fluffy jacket? Honestly, I really didn’t get what the fad was all about until I laid my hands on one. That was just the beginning of a dreamy relationship filled with warmth because wearing a fluffy jacket is like hugging your favorite childhood plush toy – and looking chic while you do it! This is a great statement piece to add to your fall wardrobe, as it can make a look as basic as a solid tee and denim go from drab to fab without too much thought. What’s more? You don’t even have to spend a ton to get one! Uniqlo sells fluffy jackets in almost EVERY color and size and trust me, it’s some REAL value for money. 

All Denim-Errthang

I just want to say that I’m so happy the 90s trends are back because denim is literally my go-to when I’m confused about what to wear – whether it’s a pair of dark-wash jeans with a dressy top for a night out with your girls, or a denim jacket over a sweatshirt and joggers when you’re running late for class – all things denim have got you covered. Although my love for denim is infinite, denim-on-denim is definitely a hit-or-miss for me because while I absolutely loved Kendall Jenner’s all denim outfit, I find that it only looks tasteful when it’s the identical shade of denim all over, which has been such a struggle for me to find! 

A Statement Sweater

It’s not called ‘sweater weather’ for nothing – am I right, ladies? It’s the perfect opportunity to stock up on all kinds of sweaters – from the basic oversized and fitted ones to turtle necks, puffy-sleeved, and brightly colored ones. In case you couldn’t tell, I’m not ready to let the monochrome, dark shades take over my wardrobe just yet! Sweaters are a great layering piece (both over and under) and can often work with both dressy and everyday fits with a skirt, some flare denim, or plaid trousers. 

Leather Jacket

The only thing that makes you look as cool as you would in a denim jacket is a leather one (I mean, it’s called biker jacket for a reason!) Every time I wear my leather jacket, I instantly feel 10 times cooler and so much more confident. What’s more? It adds texture, structure, and depth to almost any day-time outfit to make it perfect for the night. Try finding one with zip, fringe or metallic detailing as it makes the look subtly dressier without looking too loud.

With spooky season in full swing, nothing is better than cozying up in the styles above and grabbing a hot apple cider with friends! Stay warm, ladies!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

My name is Anoushka. I am a Senior at Boston University, studying Journalism and Advertising. I am from Mumbai, India, the land of spices, culture, and colour. I love singing and basically anything that screams music. When I'm not writing or belting the notes to my favourite Adele song, I enjoy trying new foods (cooking and eating, of course), travelling around the globe, and looking for new ingredients to add to my superfood stash.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.