5 DIYs to Take Your Thanksgiving from Drab to Fab

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Thanksgiving can be a gorgeous holiday with the various shades of red and orange, and decorating for it can be a family activity. Since it’s only one day, no one really wants to break the bank on décor for it. Here are a few DIYs that won’t put a dent in your wallet, but are still festive and easy!

1.     Glitter Leaves

Take any leaves, from outside or from a craft store, and set them on top of a newspaper. With a paintbrush, cover the leaves in Elmer’s Glue and sprinkle various shades of gold, orange and brown glitter on them, leaving no free space. Once the glue sets, shake the leftover glitter onto the newspaper and voila!

2.     Turkey Oreos

This turkey-shaped Oreo is adorable and much easier than baking cupcakes! All you need are four simple ingredients— Oreos, mini Reese’s cups, candy corn, and some icing!

3.     Cool Cranberry Centerpiece

Pick up a Mason jar at any local crafts store. Fill up the jar about 3/4 with water and pour a handful of cranberries in so that they float. Drop a tea light to top it off and you have a gorgeously simple centerpiece. If you want extra decorations for the centerpiece, sprinkle some cranberries around the jar on the table! You can even add various sized jars and cluster them atop a red placemat in the center of the table or line them up if you have a rectangular table.

4.     Acorn Kisses

With three simple ingredients, you can create adorable little acorns! Using either mini Nutter Butters or mini Nilla wafers, lay them out on a plate in rows. Smear some chocolate icing onto each cookie and then press the kiss on the cookies. Allow to sit for 30 minutes to set and enjoy!

5.     Caramel & Candy Covered Apples

If you’re celebrating Thanksgiving with small children, these are a perfect afternoon activity to pass time and have fun! With assortments of candy, you can decorate and personalize your own apple and enjoy them for dessert!

These DIYs will leave you feeling accomplished and festive for this Thanksgiving! They’re simple and require almost no materials and very few steps. Try them out for this Thanksgiving and make them a family activity to pass some time while the adults are cooking!

Jamie is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication with the intention of obtaining a degree in Journalism. Her main interests include beauty and lifestyle content, as she seeks to use her extensive knowledge in the beauty industry to help out other girls and spread self-confidence. She hopes to have a career in the magazine industry as a writer. If you can't find Jamie taking a nice, long stroll down Newbury with a Starbucks vanilla iced latte in hand, you'll be sure to find her sitting on BU Beach binge-watching Netflix. Follow Jamie on Instagram: @jamshore
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.