5 Disasters for the Trump Campaign this Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s no shocker to anyone that another Trump scandal has broken out in the media, but these past few days have been especially and brutally devastating for the Trump campaign. Here are five things that went wrong for the Trump team this week.

1. Trump Just Went On A Seriously Concerning Alicia Machado Rampage

The former Miss Universe winner Alicia Machado has found herself on the wrong end of a tirade by Trump, who was called out by Clinton for calling Machado “Miss Piggy” and then “Miss Housekeeping, because she was Latina”. Trump repeatedly interrupted Clinton to try and disprove her words, saying “Where did you find this?” The next morning, Trump essentially proved Clinton right by calling into Fox News and saying Machado “gained a massive amount of weight and it was a real problem.” Donald then finished digging his own grave with a twitter rampage about Machado. Classy.

2. Ford Has Come Forward To Fact Check Trump’s Lies About The Company

In Monday night’s debate, Trump slandered the car manufacturer Ford by saying, “So Ford is leaving. You see that–their small-car division leaving. Thousands of jobs leaving Michigan, leaving Ohio. They’re all leaving.” Ford took to twitter to swiftly turn down these accusations, sharing plans to begin manufacturing two new vehicles at the Ford plant in Wayne, MI. Ford also revealed they have invested over a billion dollars in U.S. plants in the past five years alone. If this doesn’t show a need for a fact-checker at presidential debates, nothing will.

3. The Trump Foundation Is Under Fire For Not Being A Legal Non-Profit

The New York attorney general’s office has recently claimed that Trump’s charitable foundation lacks the correct certifications for a charity that solicits more than $25,000 a year from the public. This could mean a total fundraising halt for the foundation or even force the Trump Foundation to return funds if evidence of illegal fundraising is found by the Attorney General. A senior advisor to the Democratic Coalition Against Trump recently said, the Attorney General “should launch an investigation, and the IRS should have enough evidence to easily revoke the Trump Foundation’s non-profit status”.

4. Trump’s Tax Records Were Released…And They Confirmed Everything The Democrats Accused Trump Of

The New York Times recently obtained records from Trump’s 1995 tax returns that show Trump filed a $916 million dollar loss that year. This financial ruin left behind by Trump in the early 90’s could have allowed Trump to avoid paying taxes for almost twenty years. This is precisely what Clinton has been accusing Trump of recently, and these documents only add fuel to her fire. It’s now clear why Trump has refused to release all of his tax returns to the public; he clearly has something to hide.

5. Clinton Crushed Trump In The First Presidential Debate On Monday

Most political analysts will agree that Clinton won the presidential debate Monday night. Clinton came prepared, and with an arsenal of facts, whereas Trump only came with his usual loud and brash attitude. Trump could hardly restrain himself and consistently interrupted Clinton during her designated speaking times. When it was actually his turn to speak, Trump couldn’t help but stretch the truth. The Washington Post admitted that Clinton was not always accurate during the debate, but this “paled in comparison to the list of Trump exaggerations and falsehoods.” Hopefully, Trump can get it together by the next debate on October 9th.

Clearly, this has been a terrible week in the Trump campaign, but it is still unclear as to whether this will significantly impact Trump’s chances in the race. It will admittedly be difficult for Trump to recover from some of these scandals, but Trump has a tendency to dodge bullets when it comes to media backlash against him, so don’t count him out just yet.

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.