This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, people all around the world are quarantining in their houses, with real-life essentially put on hold for the time being. It’s easy to get caught up in the stress and panic of the situation―turn on the news, and the virus is the only thing you’ll hear people talking about. In this stressful time, I’ve compiled a list of my five favorite comfort movies, because I think that’s something we can all use right now.

The DUFF

I recently rewatched this movie during quarantine, and it made me smile just as much as it did the first time. The DUFF tells the story of high school senior, Bianca Piper, who has just found out she is labeled as the DUFF among her friend group―the designated ugly fat friend. She teams up with popular jock Wesley to help her break out of her friends’ shadow, and it makes for a very entertaining movie. This movie is definitely cliche, as most high school movies are, but it’s hilarious, and the chemistry between the leads is electric.

She’s the Man

This is probably one of my favorite movies of all time, and I’ve been rewatching it almost every single year since I was in sixth grade. She’s the Man is about Viola, who switches places with her twin brother, Sebastian, at his boarding school, so she can join the soccer team. This movie features Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum at their prime, and it’s hilarious. I’ve watched this movie so many times, I can practically quote it. Also, a fun fact: this movie is based on Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare!

10 Things I Hate About You

If you still haven’t seen this movie, you’re doing something wrong, because this is arguably the most iconic teen movie of all time. 10 Things I Hate About You is another Shakespeare-inspired adaptation, based on his comedy The Taming of the Shrew. It tells the story of Patrick, who tries to get Kat to fall for him, so that his friend, Cameron, can go out with her sister, Bianca. Even if you don’t like high school movies, I urge you to watch this one, simply for the brilliance that is Heath Ledger serenading Julia Stiles with “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.”

Crazy Rich Asians

This is the most recent movie on this list, and it was a massive summer hit when it came out in 2018. But if you somehow were living under a rock that year, and didn’t watch this movie, I highly urge you to check it out. It’s the perfect movie for times like these because it’s pure escapism. It follows Rachel, a Chinese-American who goes home to Singapore with her boyfriend, Nick, to meet his parents―only to find out that he is a member of one of the richest families in the country. This movie is hilarious and so romantic, and its luscious setting will have you dreaming about visiting Singapore one day.

The Proposal

The last movie on this list is probably the most traditional romantic comedy on this list. The Proposal, starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, follows Margaret, who has to enter into a fake marriage with her assistant, Andrew, in order to stay in the country, after her visa expires. This is one of my favorite movies of all time, and the chemistry between the leads is iconic. Also, it’s set in Alaska, which is definitely a dream destination of mine.

So that’s it for my favorite comfort movies! Be sure to check these out during quarantine. I hope you’re all staying safe and healthy!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Dana is a freshman at Boston University studying International Relations. She is from Dubai, but she recently moved across the world to attend BU. In her free time, she loves reading, rewatching Gilmore Girls, going to concerts, and writing.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.