timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Classic Movies from Childhood that Deserve to be Revisited

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Movies and television were a huge part of me and millions of other people’s childhood. Everyone has a distinct memory of crowding around the TV with their friends or siblings and excitedly watching a Disney channel original movie or an older classic. An equally exciting rush of nostalgia takes over when you revisit these memorable movies. Here is a list of just five of the many films that remind me of childhood!

1. Aladdin (1992)

My personal favorite Disney movie is Aladdin. It is about a homeless boy named Aladdin who frees a genie, played by Robin Williams, from a lamp and tries to pursue a princess named Jasmine. From the exciting plot to the fantastic musical numbers, the film is just as amazing each time I see it. There is something very relatable and awesome about the underdog getting the girl. If you have not seen it yet, I suggest putting it at the top of your list.

2. Stand By Me (1986)

This movie was one of my best friend’s favorites, so I saw it in middle school. Based on a Stephen King book, this movie is a brilliant story of adolescence, understanding, and growing up. Four young boys from Oregon go on an adventure to confirm rumors of a dead body in the woods and end up having an incredibly impactful few days. Stand by Me is a movie that I often find myself reflecting on, and the impression that is leaves on you is very poignant.

3. Big Fat Liar (2002)

In this movie, the viewer is reminded of the early-2000s because the two co-stars are Frankie Muniz and Amanda Bynes. Muniz’ character gets his creative writing assignment for school stolen by a big Hollywood producer and turned into a movie. In response, he and Bynes’ character travel to Hollywood to pull pranks on the producer as revenge for stealing the story. It is a fun and hilarious movie that makes me nostalgic for the early 2000s!

4. Lemonade Mouth (2011)

This movie brings me back to middle school, with everything from its style to the cast. Bridgit Mendler stars alongside Hayley Kiyoko and more to tell the story of five high schoolers who meet in detention and form a band. They have to overcome obstacles like social expectations and popular kids to make their dreams come true. The music numbers in this movie helped middle school me fulfill some rockstar fantasies, and it is just as fun to watch today.

5. Hercules (1997)

My second favorite animated Disney classic is Hercules. The original take on Greek mythology with a ton of fun music numbers combine to create an amazing movie for both kids and adults. Hercules is half-man and half-god and must perform acts of heroism to prove himself worthy of living on Mount Olympus. Along the way, however, he meets Meg, a super sarcastic girl, and his quest is complicated by their feelings for one another. The movie is an endearing story of love and heroics.

Movies were a part of what made our childhoods fun, and coming back to those movies is always a lot of fun. Stories of magic, love, pranks, and excitement are not things that we grow out of. In fact, I think these films were even better the second time around.

Enjoy reminiscing on your childhoods with these timeless movies.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Keeley Bombard is a sophomore at Boston University studying Environmental Analysis and Policy. Although she was born in Boston, she grew up in Rochester Hills, Michigan. She loves dancing, reading, writing, listening to music, watching movies, and being around her friends. She loves to connect with people over topics she is passionate about through writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.