The 5 Bread Products I Will Miss the Most on Passover

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Eliza Shaw

It is simple…bread is amazing. You got your sourdough, multigrain, French bread, rye, white, pumpernickel (I could keep going forever). Passover celebrates the liberation of the Jews from Egypt, where they were slaves. The reason why Matzah is eaten instead of bread on Passover is that the Jews were forced to leave Egypt so quickly that they did not have time for their bread to rise. While all Jews are immensely grateful for the freedom of our people…we miss bread on Passover.

1. Bagels

Who doesn’t like bagels? I mean, what is there not to like? Bagels are a universal love and should be enjoyed by all people––but if you don’t like bagels, are you really a Jew? I’m from New York so being told I can no longer have a sesame bagel with vegetable cream cheese…I can feel the tears well in my eyes.

2. Pizza

It’s difficult to miss the soft dough and hot marinara sauce found on a good piece of pizza. The melty cheese stringing along and ever so slightly burning the roof of your mouth. I would take that burn to have pizza on Passover. Once again, it’s torture not being able to eat a New York pizza. Anyone who says matzah pizza is just as good has never had authentic pizza before.

3. Pasta

Listen…I don’t care if its penne, spaghetti, ravioli, or cavatelli…I’ll eat it all. It can even be raw and I’ll still enjoy it more than matzah. The joy of picking up pasta with my fork and eating it in mass quantities truly puts a smile on my face. There is no substitute for this on Passover. I mean spaghetti squash I guess but who wants vegetables when you could have a carb?

4. Sandwiches

The true MVP of BU food. I don’t really know what I am going to eat in Warren dining hall when French bread and whole wheat wraps are no longer an option. I mean seriously…what’s a girl to eat? Just think of that moment when you perfectly toast your bread and it’s that beautiful golden brown. It’s better than getting an A+ on a test…oh wait, that’s not even possible at BU (catch my grade deflation joke there?).

5. Cereal

What is the American Dream? A big house? Beautiful family? Good job? Lots of money? Yeah, I mean that all sounds good I guess, but nothing beats a refreshing bowl of cereal in the morning (or mid-day or at night, no judgment). I say once again…what will I eat for dinner in Warren dining hall. Cereal is the one constant in my life at BU and going a week without it is going to be straight painful.

Okay, folks…wish my fellow Jews and I luck. I can’t wait for matzah to mess up my digestive system and increase my craving for every bread product ever made. I know most people who don’t celebrate Passover say that it isn’t that bad…but if that’s the case then I challenge you to do it with us and let me know how you feel after. Shabbat Shalom!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!  

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.