This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Holiday shopping is definitely upon us, and if you’re scrambling (like me) to find some gifts for your loved ones, this list could come in handy. You will never find a reader who believes they own too many books, so they’re always a safe bet for the literary lovers in your life. From essay collections to YA fiction, here are a few books that are sure to be a hit if you gift them this holiday season. And don’t forget— if you end up ordering any of these, check your local bookstore first because supporting independent bookstores is a gift to book lovers all on its own!

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

Hank Green (brother of John Green, author of The Fault in Our Stars) has most recently found internet fame on TikTok. That being said, you may know him from the free educational YouTube channel “Crash Course” or his video project with his brother John, Vlogbrothers. Either way, Green decided to add being an author to his long list of accomplishments, and his debut novel is a wonderful, plot-filled, light sci-fi new adult adventure that any reader would enjoy.

Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters by Nikita Gill

This book of poetry is perfect for the former Percy-Jackson kid in your life. Anyone obsessed with Greek mythology will love the beautiful prose and verse of this book. It is fantastical but also very human, and even if the person you are gifting this to is not an avid poetry reader, if they enjoy learning about mythology, they will fall in love with this book.

Everyone’s a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too: A Book by Jomny Sun

If you’re looking for a graphic novel that makes a good gift and a quick read, this book is the perfect solution. This story is about an alien who finds a home on Earth, trying to find friendship in a universe in which he feels very lonely. It is a sweet, moving story, and the simple illustrations are cute and heartwarming. All around, I cannot think of a single person I would not recommend this book to.

The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

The House in the Cerulean Sea is a low fantasy book about a magical social worker who is sent on assignment to an orphanage for “dangerous” magical children. Of course, he soon finds that there is more to the orphanage, and its director, than first meets the eye. It’s a heartwarming tale about found family and learning to live life that is great for all ages. 

The Anthropocene Reviewed: Essays on a Human-Centered Planet by John Green

I’d be remiss in including one of Hank Green’s books on this list without also sneaking in John Green, the original Green brothers author. His first work of nonfiction, a collection of essays called The Anthropocene Reviewed, rates phenomena such as the QWERTY keyboard and Canada geese on a five-star scale as a way to think about life and love and loss and all things in between. The physical book also has some hidden reviews as bonus surprises for the reader.

You can’t go wrong with any of these books this holiday season. They are all wonderful reads that I’m so glad to have on my shelves, and I’m sure your loved ones will feel the same.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Morgan is a senior at Boston University studying public relations with minors in art history and political science. She loves fall, cafés, and exploring Boston. She is a frequent art museum goer and an ardent Bruins fan. Besides writing, Morgan's hobbies include curating Spotify playlists, cheering on the BU Terriers at hockey games, and exploring independent bookstores.