yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

5 Binge-Worthy TV Shows For This Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Halloween is upon us and between jobs, internships, and schoolwork, it’s hard now to get fully into the spirit without feeling out of place. However, there is nothing like sitting down and watching a creepy show. While scary movies are all well and good, they are over in about 90 minutes. However, scary television series provide hours of chilling content and are easily binged on streaming platforms. Check out these next few shows to get you into that spooky season spirit real quick!

Light As A Feather — Hulu

At first, watching this Hulu original I was somewhat skeptical. After all, one of the main characters was YouTuber Brent Rivera. However, the show maintained my interest for two seasons and I binged episodes here and there to find out what came next. While the acting is not the best, the storyline is pretty captivating, as a group of friends struggles to figure out how to break the death curse after playing the game “light as a feather, stiff as a board.” It’s almost like a TV version of the movie Final Destination. Its theme of death and decay makes it the perfect show to pop on when you’re hanging out this Halloween season. 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer — Hulu

An oldie but a goodie, BtVS screams spooky season. Buffy, along with her friends Willow and Xander and trusted Watcher Giles, takes on all kinds of unnatural beings. In addition to the obvious vampires, Buffy encounters all sorts of creepy demons that are truly terrifying. Also as a solid plotline plug, Buffy’s romance with vampire Angel is pretty epic to watch. While you probably won’t have time to binge all seven seasons, definitely be sure to start the first season to get in some spine-chilling entertainment.

American Horror Story — Netflix or Hulu

Not only are this show’s plotlines really freaky, but the theme song is also enough to make your heart skip a beat or two. The show has featured steady cast members like Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, and Evan Peters. AHS also has been known to have some other famous guests including Lady Gaga, Adam Levine, and Connie Britton. Like BtVS, there are so many seasons of AHS that you probably wouldn’t be able to watch all nine seasons by Halloween. However, since the series is a new plot every season, you have plenty of options to pick from as to which seasons to binge. Personally, my two favorites have been Murder House and Coven, but everyone’s different. It all depends on what type of scare you’re looking to get this season, whether it’s something supernatural, or a very real issue pressing today’s society.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina—Netflix

At first when I heard about the retelling of the story of Sabrina Spellman, I thought the series would be a whimsical comedy like the 90s sitcom. However, the Netflix original is none of the sorts. Featuring Mad Men’s Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina, the show is quite dark in nature as it is not afraid to take on the topic of witchcraft, voodoo, murder, and demons. Plus the soundtrack gives the show an added sinister feel with tracks like ELO’s “Strange Magic” and Cliff Richard’s “Devil Woman.” The show is perfect to watch while curled up on the couch with a little Halloween candy by your side.

iZombie — Netflix

This show takes a new spin on zombies and makes lead character Liv almost seem human. In the show, after a boat party was invaded by zombies, Liv finds her perfect life as a medical resident completely flipped upside down, to where she works at a morgue and has the psychic ability to see into a person’s past when she consumes their brains. It’s like The Walking Dead meets Law and Order. If you’re looking for something these next few weeks to get you in feeling spooked in all the right places, along with something that has a little humor, this should be a series you’re going to want to check out.

Those are my top five recommendations if you are looking for a binge-worthy tv show during this spooky Halloween season! Enjoy the screams, scares, and supernatural! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets! 

Hello, my name is Alex and I'm a journalism major at BU who loves coffee, the beach and writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.