This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m sure I’m not the only person who has a hard time falling asleep at night when I’m just lying in bed. And for good reason! We live in a society where it’s completely normal to stare at your computer screen until you fall asleep, but that blue light transmission makes it even more difficult to go to bed. I’ve started reading books before bed to relax. I’ve collected some of my favorites and asked some of my friends for their top choices, too. Here are the top five books we came up with for the best nights sleep: 

1. Sum by David Eagleman

“This is a book of very short stories (think 3 pages max). You can pick it up and read a lot or a little, and either way, you get a complete story out of it.” — Abigail

2. Becoming by Michelle Obama

“Honestly, what’s not to love about Michelle Obama? You learn so much about her life, but it’s told in a very slow and detailed way so that it’s nice to learn about a piece of her life before you go to sleep.” —  Lindsay

3. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

“Sometimes, I get into my bed after a horrible day and I just want to feel better. Mindy Kaling’s book is absolutely hysterical, and each chapter is really short so it’s the perfect pre-bedtime read.” — Olivia

4. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero

One of my best friends gave this to me for my birthday, and I’ve loved reading it before I go to sleep! It makes me feel inspired and motivated for the next day and gives me things to ruminate on as I try and fall asleep.

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Honestly, this last one could have been any of the Harry Potter books, but I just chose the fourth one because it’s my favorite. For years when I was younger, I read the Harry Potter books before I went to bed, and I would go to sleep thinking about wizards and spells and curses. It was the best precursor to all my dreams!

I hope that you get some good inspiration for your future bedtime reads! If there are any books that I missed that you love, feel free to comment them below!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sophie is a freshman from Chicago—the city, NOT the suburbs—majoring in Public Relations at Boston University. She'll probably make you feel like you're the world's greatest comedian because she tends to laugh at anything anyone says. When she's not writing for HC, you can find her at SoulCycle, watching The Bachelor, or eating chocolate chip cookies.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.