This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s the start of a new school year, and we all need some great tunes to keep us going throughout the week. It may only be the end of September, but countless great albums have been released, making it hard to keep up with all the new tracks. And this is just an early preview of other great works to come from the likes of Kanye West, Miranda Lambert, and Ke$ha. 

What a problem to live in a world with TOO MUCH good music coming at us all a time. It provides a great pastime activity during break periods. But in case you don’t have the time to sift through Spotify to discover the fall albums on your own, here’s a guide to 5 of the best this season has thus far!

Lover — Taylor Swift

So yes, we started out the fall season and the closing of summer with Taylor Swift’s new album, Lover. It is Swift’s first album since she broke with former record label Big Machine Records, and has been working with Republic Records to create it. While many of Swift’s past albums have been a blend of breakup and conflicted love songs, this album discovers the feelings of what it’s like to be in a long-term relationship, something fans have seen in her personal life with boyfriend Joe Alwyn. Even if you’re not a Taylor Swift fan, you’ll still really enjoy the album because the tracks contain lyrics that are both relatable and vulnerable. 

Favorite Tracks: “Cruel Summer,” “London Boy,” “Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince”

Hollywood’s Bleeding — Post Malone

Post is back with major collaborations, a stronger pop star vibe, and unapologetic lyrics. Now I will admit that this is not my favorite album of Post’s so far because, in my eyes, nothing will top Beerbongs and Bentleys. But I am a definite fan of this album and I think he really did an amazing job producing work that satisfies his fans, while still speaking from the heart. Plus, can we all talk about how he got Ozzy Osbourne and Travis Scott on the same track with “Take What You Want”— truly iconic! I think the album speaks volumes about being an individual and knowing when to take time for yourself if things are not going well in a relationship. Overall, a solid choice to be listening to these next few months!

Favorite Tracks: “I’m Gonna Be,” “Staring At The Sun” (feat. SZA), “Take What You Want” (feat. Ozzy Osbourne and Travis Scott)

Norman Fucking Rockwell! — Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey’s soft, soulful vocals are put on full display in her new album, Norman Fucking Rockwell! At first glance, one may be a little confused by the title, but it’s Del Rey’s sarcasm about today’s America being in a very confusing time vs. the American Dream captured by many of Rockwell’s images. The tracks explore a certain void left in modern society from too much attachment to the technology, anxiety over unsolvable issues, and the inner doubt we feel comparing ourselves to others. It’s definitely an album that you’re not just going to want to have on in the background. Step back and take a deep listen to it. On a long car ride back from a road trip just let Del Rey’s haunting vocals and thoughtful lyrics speak to you. 

Favorite Tracks: “The Greatest,” “Doin’ Time,” and “Mariners Apartment Complex”

This Summer — Alessia Cara

While Cara’s EP, This Summer, technically isn’t an album, it still should be regarded as some stand out music for the fall. The five tracks on the EP all circle the theme of summer love, and how it’s hard to keep once September hits. Each song is different as they represent Cara’s state of mind during the relationship, whether it’s confusion, regaining confidence after heartbreak, or learning to look fondly at lost love. It’s Cara’s best work thus far in my opinion, and is the perfect music to chill out with in the crisp fall air!

Favorite Track: “October”

The Highwomen —  The Highwomen

Have you heard of the Highwomen? Well if not, you need to check out their debut album immediately. The power group, composed of country artists Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris, Natalie Hemby and Amanda Shires, was formed in a response to the lack of female representation within country music. Their songs tell the unsung stories of mothers and working women, while showing a same-sex perspective and calling out heightened masculinity. These themes have not been explored in depth in other female country vocalists, or has been looked over for the more mainstream breakup song. I love the idea of women being supportive of one another, and their work on this album shows true female solidarity. 

Favorite Tracks: “Loose Change,” “My Only Child,” “My Name Can’t Be Mama”

So far the fall has brought us some great music and I’m very excited to see what comes next. Stay tuned and check Spotify daily! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hello, my name is Alex and I'm a journalism major at BU who loves coffee, the beach and writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.