jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Up and Coming Celebrities You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

1. Sama and Haya Khadra 

Twin sisters Sama and Haya Khadra are no strangers to the bustling runways of fashion week. Since the age of 14, these sisters have been attending shows for every major brand, even catching the eye of Karl Lagerfeld, who they now consider a close friend. Nowadays, these busy sisters are frequently featured in Vogue and count Gigi and Bella Hadid, Kylie and Kendall Jenner, and Rita Ora as just some of the members of their uber-glamorous squad. Even with their Chanel shoots and famous friends, however, the most impressive thing about the Khadra twins is their drive to get an education. On the days when their not attending Kylie Jenner’s graduation party or posing for Chanel catalogues, these twins can be found on the grounds of the University of Southern California, pursuing their degrees.

Why you should follow them on instagram (samahaya)?

Along with getting a glimpse of what it would be like to live among Hollywood’s elite, Sama and Haya Khadra also post incredible pictures of their world travels that’ll give you a serious case of wanderlust. 

2. Pia Mia 

At the age of nineteen, most of us can be found cramming for exams in our school libraries or trying to save up money to buy the new iPhone. Pia Mia Perez, however, is busy taking over the music industry. Since Kim Kardashian West posted a keek of Pia singing a cover of Drake’s “Hold On We’re Going Home” in 2013, the young singer’s fanbase has been growing rapidly. She’s collaborated with Chris Brown, Tyga, Chance The Rapper, and has even been featured on the Divergent soundtrack. Perez is also a member of Kylie Jenner’s squad, the Lil Babies. 

Why you should follow her on snapchat (princesspiamia)? 

Pia Mia’s vivacious and carefree personality will make you think you’re watching one of your own friends. You’ll get a peek into her world where she sings, dances, and binges on Hot Cheetos. You might even catch clips of Kylie if you’re lucky.

3. Tavi Gevinson (Blogger) 

Since the age of 12, Tavi Gevinson has been making a name for herself as a blogger. Starting out in fashion, Gevinson began gaining popularity for her eccentric and risk-taking style. For years, she ran her fashion blog, Style Rookie, and was seen with every major fashion presence from Anna Wintour to Karl Lagerfeld and even Rodarte. By 15, Gevinson began her online feminism and pop culture magazine, Rookie. It wasn’t long before teenage girls began flocking to rookiemag.com and counting Gevinson as their go-to for everything from how to deal with a breakup to learning how to use a tampon. Gevinson’s unique voice and powerful influence has been recognized by Time, Forbes, and The New York Times.

Why you should check out Rookie Mag? 

Gevinson’s magazine, Rookie, is a haven for women of every age. Whether you want the latest news in pop culture, advice on how to navigate your sexuality, or just a place where your voice can be heard, Rookie is where you’ll find all your answers. 

4. Halsey (Singer)

With her unique and edgy style, wild blue-green hair, and haunting voice, it’s no wonder 21-year-old singer Halsey-aka Ashley Frangipane, has made a name for herself in the music industry. Once stating she writes “songs about sex and being sad”, Halsey has become one of the most talked about new artists. With features on MTV, friendships with Tyler Posey, 21 Pilots, and The 1975, and songs that appeal to anyone trying to navigate through their first love, Halsey is proving that she’s here to stay. 

Why you should follow her on Twitter (@halseymusic)?

Once calling herself “tri-bi” (bisexual, biracial, and bipolar), Halsey has become known among young girls for her unfiltered social justice and advocacy tweets. She talks about everything from female body hair to helping the homeless. Her tweets are the perfect source of inspiration for anyone looking to learn more about feminism and social and political issues. 

5. Bella Hadid 

As the younger sister of supermodel Gigi Hadid, Bella is proving that she’s just as deserving of the spotlight. Bella’s striking features and playful personality have gained the attention of designers like Tommy Hilfiger, Diane Von Furstenburg, and Bottega Veneta. Bella has also teamed up with i-D to produce a hilarious spoof video about what it’s like to live in California. 

Why you should follow her on instagram (bellahadid)?

You’ll never get bored of scrolling through Bella’s endless instagram feed featuring her sister Gigi, rumored boyfriend, The Weeknd, and famous friends like Miley Cyrus and Kendall Jenner. 

Savanna Tavakoli is a 21-year-old journalism student at Boston University. Savanna plans to use journalism as a platform for educating the public about everything from current political issues to which celebrities just tied the knot. Her interests include pop culture, female empowerment, advocating for gender and sexual equality, red lipstick, m&m cookies, and binge-watching Netflix in her free time.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.