This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In a time when the very survival of our planet is being called into question, it’s crucial that we all do our part to clean up the environment. Changing your ways to become less wasteful and become more environmentally friendly is easier than you think, and it may even save you some money in the long run. Here are four simple ways you can become more eco-friendly:

1. Swap plastic water bottles for a reusable bottle and a Brita pitcher.

Photo credit: Amazon

Using a Brita pitcher instead of plastic water bottles can reduce plastic waste while also saving you money.

This one seems like a no-brainer, but until last year, I was super guilty of plowing through case after case of Poland Spring water. I’ve always been wary of drinking tap water for fear of impurities and chemicals like mercury, and I had just never found a reusable water bottle that I liked – and then there was the worry about buying one that was BPA free, BPS free, phthalate free, etc. etc.. I finally realized I needed to stop this incredibly wasteful behavior when I had amassed an entire garbage bag full of plastic water bottles in my dorm. I did some scouting on Amazon, bought a Brita pitcher and Nalgan Tritan water bottle and I haven’t looked back since. Though it’s tedious to fill up the Brita pitcher, it’s worth it to be more eco-friendly. And think of the money you’ll save from not buying plastic water bottles! 

2. Swap your plastic Keurig cups for reusable cups and ground coffee.

Photo credit: Keurig

Reduce your plastic waste while also keeping the convenience of your Keurig by swapping your K-cups for reusable pods.

Keurig is the king of convenient coffee brewing, especially for a sleep-deprived college student like myself who wakes up 10 minutes before class starts and needs to be out the door with my thermos in hand, stat! I felt guilty throwing away plastic K-cup after plastic K-cup, and I became haunted by the thought of what a mountain of plastic K-cups my coffee addiction would look like. Still, I didn’t want to sacrifice the convenience of my Keurig for a regular old coffee pot. Then I discovered Keurig makes reusable pods – just pour some ground coffee into the pod and you’re good to go! You won’t have to worry about the plastic waste of regular K-cups, and you won’t have to go back to the dark ages of using a regular coffee pot.

3. Swap plastic grocery bags for reusable ones.

Photo credit: Baggu

Baggu’s reusable bags are perfect for grocery shopping – and they’re a fashion statement, too!

Boston’s plastic bag ban went into effect in December, meaning that customers are now charged 5 cents for paper bags. What could be more of an impetus to switch over to reusable grocery bags than saving money (even if it is just five cents – but think about how that could add up!) And of course, you’ll be saving the environment at the same time. Best of all, buying your own reusable bags can be a fashion statement – my bags of choice are Baggu’s reusable bags that come in practically every color and pattern. They even hold up to 30 pounds – perfect for that weekend trek to Star Market.

4. Swap Uber for the T – or walk!

Photo credit: WBUR

Ditch Uber for the T and save money – and the environment – in the process.

One of the easiest ways for people to be more eco-friendly by reducing carbon emissions is to take public transportation. Instead of riding an Uber to class on a chilly February morning, consider riding the T instead. It’s considerably cheaper than taking an Uber and is less environmentally damaging than putting another car on the road. Even better is walking, which is free, produces no carbon emissions, and is healthy for you, so bundle up and get those miles in!

Implementing these tips is such an easy way to do your part to clean up the environment, and you’ll be saving money along the way – who could argue with that?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ausma Palmer is a writer, photographer, and filmmaker from New York. She is currently a journalism student at Boston University and specializes in writing opinion pieces on gender issues and politics, as well as film and book reviews.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.