4 Reasons Why Friends Should Celebrate Friendsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Each year, almost every family in the United States gathers to give thanks to the people in their lives during this holiday season. Thanksgiving is a time to appreciate your family and all of the good things happening in your life. It’s a day for family, that’s for sure, but what some people seem to forget during the holidays is their friendships. Here is a list of reasons why everyone should celebrate Friendsgiving. 

1. It’s an excuse to hang out with your best friends

We haven’t seen our friends all semester, so Friendsgiving is the perfect excuse to hang with our favorite pals.  

2. So. Much. Food.

If you make Friendsgiving anything like Thanksgiving, there will be tons of food there. Everything from mac & cheese, stuffing, cooked veggies, mashed potatoes, and lots of desserts. There is nothing better than stuffing your face with unhealthy meals and snacks.

3. There’s no pressure to look nice.

Whether you celebrate Friendsgiving before or after Thanksgiving, everyone is tired of dressing nice and wearing their best outfits. Friendsgiving is a day you and all your besties can put on your stretchiest sweatpants and comfiest sweatshirt and eat filling food until you can’t eat anymore.

4. It doesn’t take long to cook the food.

If you have Friendsgiving right after Thanksgiving, everyone can bring their leftovers. However, if you’re all turkey-ed out, there is no shame in calling for some Dominos or quickly making mac & cheese for everyone to enjoy.

Although Friendsgiving isn’t technically a real holiday, it’s important to give thanks to your besties and acknowledge their awesomeness. The bond we have with our friends is undeniable and it should be recognized each year. Why not turn the best holiday for hanging out and eating into the holiday to give thanks to those crazy people we call our best friends?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I am a senior studying broadcast journalism at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.