3 Reasons Why You Have to Watch Tiny Pretty Things on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Over winter break, while everyone was binging Bridgerton on Netflix, I was quite obsessed with another new Netflix original. I first saw the trailer on Twitter (thank you for being the source of all my interests, Twitter) and could not wait to check the show out once it was released in mid-December. Tiny Pretty Things is a new Netflix series that combines two things: ballet and murder. Have I got you hooked yet? It surrounds the mysterious attempted murder of a girl, Cassie, at one of the most competitive ballet schools in the U.S (she lands into a coma). While the police investigate her suspicious fall, a new girl, Naveah, arrives on a scholarship to start at the school. The rest of the season dives into ballet and relationships, all while solving Cassie’s case. Here’s why I absolutely adored the show.

The diversity 

Netflix has slowly been getting better with having diverse casts in their shows and, thankfully, Tiny Pretty Things does pretty well with their casting. The main character of the show is a Black girl, which is already such a good start to the series. Alongside her, there are other POC characters, like Nabil, a Muslim character, and queer characters, both wlw and mlm. It was so refreshing to have a relatively diverse cast and I think it made the show much more interesting. Watching characters who are gay and have a storyline outside of their queerness is so comforting, as well.

The dancing

I don’t know much about ballet, but watching this show has given me a much larger appreciation for it and everyone who dances. Netflix casted professional ballet dancers, so all of the dancing done in the show is 100% the actors themselves! It makes me admire the cast even more so, knowing that ballet dancers who can also act are not very popular. We get to see so much dancing throughout the show and it always blows my mind how amazing they are. The soundtrack for the season is just as amazing, and they complement each other perfectly!

The plotlines

The author of the book series that this show is based off of is a literal genius. To combine a cutthroat ballet program, teenagers, and a murder mystery takes some real creativity and I think the combination of the three was phenomenal. Throughout the show, I kept trying to find out who pushed Cassie off the building and was totally blown away by who it ended up being! While I won’t spoil it, just know that the episodes will keep you on the edge of your seat. 

I am anxiously awaiting season two, as season one ends on another cliffhanger. I hope you are willing to give the show a try, because it’s already moved up on my top-five-favorite-shows-of-all-time list!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Caitlynn Tibbetts is a freshman at Boston University, planning to major in Finance and Global Business. She has been published in the Florida English Journal and Parkland Speaks. Coming from South Florida, she’s excited to join and explore the city of Boston and everything it has to offer.