This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Cult Classics are movies known for their passionate fanbase and culture that encourage audience participation. If you aren’t a fan of a Cult Classic movie already, you should be.

Seeing a Cult Classic in theaters is unlike any other movie experience. I like to think of it as humanity in its purest form. You can expect fans to shout out certain lines of the film, throwing random objects like spoons or toast, and most importantly you can expect to see people having a good time. The smiles and laughter of someone enjoying something they are passionate about are absolutely blissful. Here are some films that you need to hop on the bandwagon for!

1. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Personally, this is my all-time favorite cult classic. It combines total wackiness with comedy and music. It is unlike anything you have ever seen. This is one of the only soundtracks that you will enjoy having stuck in your head. The 1975 film follows the lives of innocent sweethearts, Brad and Janet, who get stuck in the middle of a storm with a flat tire. They end up at the door of a transvestite scientist and a mansion full of wild characters. Dr. Frank-N-Furter helps Brad and Janet lose their innocence as he prepares to unveil his newest creation, a muscular man named Rocky.

2. The Room

The Room is definitely the worst movie ever made and I don’t say that lightly. It is awful, but that’s the point. This film has received the honorable title of best worst movie ever. It’s hard to explain what the plot of this drama movie is because it is difficult to understand what is going on. The overall plot of the movie is that Johnny’s fiance, Lisa, cheats on him with his best friend Mark. What makes the movie so great is that instead of being this event dramatic, it is portrayed as hilarious. The audience yells along with classic lines like, “you’re tearing me apart Lisa!” Whenever there is water in a scene, everyone shouts “water.” You can participate in throwing plastic spoons at the screen whenever you’re bored. Trust me, you will leave this film flabbergasted and thoroughly amused.

3. Pulp Fiction

This list wouldn’t be complete without Pulp Fiction, which may possibly be the most famous cult film of all time. Some may not consider it a cult film due to its major budget and popularity, but I think that the dedicated fan base classifies it as a cult classic. This Tarantino film is a mash-up of multiple storylines, which are all interwoven. It follows the lives John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson who play two hitmen, their gangster boss, his wife, a boxer, and a pair of bandits. To find out how they are all connected, you will just have to see for yourself!

The list of cult films goes on and on. I hope you find a midnight showing somewhere near you and are able to enjoy the sheer humanity of it all. Cult Classics are a great way to feel alive and escape the mundane reality of everyday life.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emma is an English major at Boston University. She hopes to have a novel published and write for a sketch comedy show one day. In her free time she reads, writes, and paints. She loves to make people laugh and fully believes in aliens.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.