20 Thoughts African Americans had During the Second Presidential Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m sure more than just black people thought these things, but Trump said things about the black community that had us saying “WTF?!” My favorites (with commentary) are below!

1. “Just today policemen were shot – two killed – and this is happening on a weekly basis. We have to bring back respect to law enforcement. At the same time we have to take care of people on all sides. We need justice. But I want to do things that haven’t been done including fixing and making our interest that is better for the African-American citizens that are so great and for the Latinos, Hispanics, and I look forward to doing it – it’s called make America great again.” –Donald Trump (9:10)

Funny how Trump mentions the police officers killed, but not the unarmed black men that have been killed. The issue isn’t with respecting law enforcement, it is with the implicit biases that plague law enforcement and how they disproportionately target blacks (Which your running mate doesn’t think exists). If we are so great, why does Trump parade us on stage like show monkeys? Trump doesn’t truly want our support. And he never gave any specifics as to how he will gain our support.

2. “People are pouring into our country and they are coming in from the Middle East and other places. We’re going to make America safe again. We’re going to make America great again but we’re going to make America safe again.” – Donald Trump (9:15)

America is the safest it has ever been; crime is down nationally. When was America ever great? This country was founded on the exploitation of African Americans. Our founding fathers were slave owners. Segregation just ended in 1954. America has never been great for black people.

3.  “I have great respect for women. Nobody has more respect for women than I do.”

We don’t believe you!

4. “So yes, this is who Donald Trump is. But it’s not only women and it’s not only this video that raises questions about his fitness to be our president. Because he has also targeted immigrants, African Americans, Latinos, people with disabilities, POWs, Muslims, and so many others.” –Hillary Clinton (9:15)

Yaaaaasss Girl!

5. “I’m going to help the African-Americans. I’m going to help the Latinos, Hispanics. I am going to help the inner cities. She has done a terrible job for the African-Americans. She wants their vote and she does nothing and then she comes back four years later. We saw that firsthand when she was a United States senator.” – Donald Trump (9:19)

How?! When have you addressed institutionalized racism or systemic oppression of our people?! And as Shonda Rhimes said, STOP CALLING US “THE AFRICAN AMERICANS.” We aren’t a different species of human. Also, not all black people live in the inner cities (Shonda also tweeted about this too!). We’d prefer HRC to Trump! And that is saying a lot because a lot of black people don’t like her either.

6. “When I hear something like that, I am reminded of what my friend Michelle Obama advised us all. When they go low, you go high.” – Hillary Clinton (9:23)​

You said this last debate, HRC, but yes! We feel you!

7.  “Well, you owe the president an apology because, as you know very well, your campaign, Sidney Blumenthal, he’s another real winner that you have. And he’s the one that got this started along with your campaign manager and they were on television just two weeks ago he was saying exactly that.” – Donald Trump (9:25)

What?! Trump started the birther movement and it is a sheer representation of racism in America. Our first black president had to produce his birth certificate because Trump thought he wasn’t a citizen. That xenophobic rhetoric has carried throughout his campaign.

8.  “A race where you lost fair and square, unlike the Bernie Sanders race where you won, but not fair and square, in my opinion. And all you have to do is take a look at WikiLeaks and just see what they said about Bernie Sanders and see what Debra Wasserman Schultz had in mind because Bernie Sanders, between superdelegates and Debra Wasserman Schultz, he never had a chance.”- Donald Trump (9:25)

WE MISS YOU BERNIE!

9. “And yet she didn’t know the letter “C” on a document. Right? She didn’t even know what that word — what that letter meant. You know, it’s amazing.”- Donald Trump (9:31)

Did Trump just tell on himself? He marked the housing applications of minorities with the letter “C.”

10. “Okay Donald, I know you are into big diversion tonight, anything to avoid talking about your campaign and the way it is exploding.”

I’m here for all of her attitude on this one. When you can’t continue to respond to stupidity; Okay, Donald.

11.  “It’s nice – it’s one on three.” – Donald Trump (9:35)

Are you mad or nah, Trump? Nobody is gaining up on you; they are moderating the debate.

12. “Now to solve a problem, you have to be able to state what the problem is or at least say the name. She won’t say the name and President Obama won’t say the name, but the name is there. It’s radical Islamic terror. And before you solve it, you have to say the name.” – Donald Trump (9:44)

In solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters, we feel your pain. We aren’t fighting radical Islam; we are fighting terrorists, as Hillary said.

13. “Why don’t you interrupt her?” -Donald Trump (9:49)

Because she is actually answering the questions!

14. “Of course I do. Of course I do. And so do all of her donors, or most of her donors. I know many of her donors. Her donors took massive tax write-offs. A lot of my write-off was depreciation and other things that Hillary, as a Senator, allowed.” – Donald Trump (10:06)

But Trump and Republicans want to talk down on people on welfare for abusing the system (which not all recipients do), but he doesn’t even pay taxes?!

15. “Look, he has now said repeatedly, thirty years this and thirty years that. So let me talk about my thirty years in public service. I’m very glad to do so.” – Hillary Trump (10:09)

Slay queen or you’ll get eliminated!

16. “Absolutely. I mean, uh, she calls our people deplorable, a large group. And irredeemable. I will be a president for all of our people.” – Donald Trump (10:24)

Because Trump supporters are! They are xenophobic, homophobic racists!

17.  “The same with the Latino Americans. The Hispanic Americans. The same exact thing, they talk, they don’t get it done. You go into the inner cities and you see there’s forty five percent poverty. African-Americans have forty five percent poverty in the inner cities. The education is a disaster. Jobs are essentially nonexistent.”- Donald Trump (10:24)

BLACK PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE YOU! Stop referencing us. Please and Thank you!

18.  “Justice Scalia, great judge, died recently, and we have a vacancy. I am looking to appoint judges very much in the mold of Justice Scalia. I’m looking for judges, and I’ve actually picked 20 of them, so that people would see, highly respected, highly thought of and actually very beautifully reviewed by just about everybody.” – Donald Trump (10:32)

OH! Scalia said that black people need to be on a slower academic track than their peers. How is that to be respected?

19. “Well I certainly will because I think that is a very fair and important question. Look, I respect his children. His children are incredibly able and devoted, and I think that says a lot about Donald. I don’t agree with nearly anything else he says or does.” – Hillary Clinton (10:36)

L O L! This is funny, because under pressure black people probably would have said “Nothing.”

20. Anything else Donald Trump said…..

Advertising and Journalism major at Boston University. Fashion is my passion. Lover of all things Law and Order: SVU, Empire, and Keeping up with the Kardashians. Follow my Twitter @thisgirljazmyne and Instagram @jazmyne_143! Xoxo
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.