20 Magnificent Quotes from Literature That Will Get You Through the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

All of these quotes are from literary works, whether it be from a memoir, a poem, or a YA novel. These quotes discuss love, life, belongingness, dreams, and so much more. What I love about these quotes is that no matter their genre, author, or when they were written, they all offer a message of inspiration.

1. History of Love, Nicole Krauss.

Photo credit: ​Me.me

“Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.”

This quote is from History of Love, a coming-of-age/historical fiction novel. The novel is by Nicole Krauss.

2. Clockwork Angel, Cassandra Clare.

Photo credit: Pinterest

“One must always be careful of books and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

This quote is from Clockwork Angel, the first novel in the Infernal Devices trilogy. The book was written by Cassandra Clare.

3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky.

Photo credit: Pinterest

“And in that moment, I swear, we were infinite.”

This quote comes from The Perks of Being a Wallflower, a coming-of-age novel (with more depth than expected). The book is by Stephen Chbosky.

4. Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt.

Photo credit: Picture Quotes

“Don’t be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don’t have to live forever, you just have to live.”

This quote was featured in Tuck Everlasting, a children’s novel written by Natalie Babbitt.

5.  The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde.

Photo credit: Decorating Files

“Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing.”

This quote is from The Picture of Dorian Gray, a Gothic and philosophical novel. The novel is by Oscar Wilde.

6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling.

Photo credit: Pinterest

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

This quote comes from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, more specifically from Dumbledore. The book was written by J.K. Rowling.

7. A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L’Engle.

Photo credit: Pinterest

“Life, with its rule, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: you’re given the form but you have to write the sonnet yourself.”

This quote was featured in A Wrinkle in Time, a sci-fi/fantasy novel, by Madeleine L’Engle.

8. East of Eden, John Steinbeck.

Photo credit: Pinterest

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.”

This quote is from East of Eden, a book of family drama and tragedy. The novel is by John Steinbeck.

9. Wild Awake, Hilary T. Smith.

Photo credit: Picgra

“People are like cities: we all have alleys and gardens and secret rooftops and places where daisies sprout between the sidewalk cracks, but most of the time all we let each other see is a postcard glimpse of a skyline or a polished square. Love lets you find those hidden places in another person, even the ones they didn’t know were there, even the ones they wouldn’t have thought to call beautiful themselves.”

This quote comes from Wild Awake, a novel by Hilary T. Smith.

10. The Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo.

Photo credit: Pinterest

“Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark.”

This quote is featured in The Tale of Despereaux, a children’s novel. The novel is by Kate DiCamillo.

11. The Beautiful and Damned, F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Photo credit: Han Quotes

“She was beautiful, but not like those girls in the magazines. She was beautiful, for the way she thought. She was beautiful, for the sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful, for her ability to make other people smile, even if she was sad. No, she wasn’t beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful, deep down to her soul. She is beautiful.”

This quote is from The Beautiful and Damned. The novel is by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

12. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott.

Photo credit: Bas Blue, The Bluestocking Salon

“For love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride.”

This is quote is from the classic novel Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott.

13. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy.

Photo credit: Kwize

“I always loved you, and if one loves anyone, one loves the whole person, just as they are and not as one would like them to be.”

This quote is in Anna Karenina, a romance novel. The novel is by Leo Tolstoy.

14. A Song of Ice and Fire, George R.R. Martin.

Photo credit: Pinterest 

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

This quote comes from A Song of Ice and Fire, or Game of Thrones if you keep up with the TV version. The book is written by George R.R. Martin.

15. The Mark of Athena, Rick Riordan.

Photo credit: Pinterest 

“Being a hero doesn’t mean you’re invincible. It just means you’re brave enough to stand up and do what’s needed.”

This quote was featured in The Mark of Athena, a fantasy/adventure novel and also the third book in the Heroes of Olympus series, a spin off of Percy Jackson. The series is by Rick Riordan.

16. Dracula, Bram Stoker.

Photo credit: Deskgram 

“There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.”

This quote is from Dracula, the classic novel by Bram Stoker.

17. UnSouled, Neal Shusterman.

Photo credit: Jar of Quotes

“Hope can be bruised and battered. It can be forced underground and even rendered unconscious, but hope cannot be killed.”

This quote is in UnSouled, the third book in the Unwind series. The series was written by Neal Shusterman.

18. The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, Hunter S. Thompson.

Photo credit: Inspirational.ly 

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow, what ride!’”

This quote comes from The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, which is a series of letters written by American journalist, Hunter S. Thompson.

19. Milk and Honey, Rupi Kaur.

Photo credit: Works for the Year

“i want to apologize to all the women i have called beautiful

before i’ve called them intelligent or brave

i am sorry i made it sound as though

something as simple as what you’re born with

is all you have to be proud of

when you have broken mountains with your wit

from now on i will say things like

you are resilient, or you are extraordinary

not because i don’t think you’re beautiful

but because i need you to know

you are more than that”

This is a poem from Rupi Kaur’s anthology about womanhood, Milk and Honey.

20. Sister Outsider, Audre Lorde.

Photo credit: Quote Chimps 

“In our world, divide and conquer must become define and empower.”

This quote comes from Sister Outsider, which is a collection of speeches and essays. The anthology was written by Audre Lorde.

While these may be some of my favorite inspirational quotes from literature, there are millions more out there just waiting to be read. So, read them, use them, and then go write your own!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Peyton is a sophomore at Boston University majoring in journalism in the College of Communication and minoring in Women, Gender and Sexuality. Besides writing for Her Campus, Peyton also writes for the Daily Free Press and is a member of Students for Reproductive Freedom. In her free time, she tries to find the best places for dessert in Boston and reads along with Emma Watson's book club "Our Shared Shelf."
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.