14 Things I Am NOT Thankful for this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s the time of the year where we all gather around the table and say what we’re thankful for, and you can expect my answer will probably be friends or family or Ryan Reynolds. But let’s be honest, after the mess 2016 has been, it’s way easier to say all the things I’m NOT thankful for this year. 

1. Baby Bangs

You know those little mini bangs that look good on like 1 out of every 10 people who has them? Yeah those.

2. People who stop in the middle of the sidewalk or hallway

If you need to stop to answer a text or grab your keys or whatever else it is that simply cannot wait, please step off to the side so you don’t inconvenience everyone.

3. Girls who “only hang out with guys cause it’s less drama”

Hating women doesn’t make you cool. See also girls who “aren’t like other girls”.

4. The return of flare jeans

Leave flare jeans in 2005, please.

5. The Electoral College

Hillary got more votes, and we still ended up with Trump.

6. Rompers and Jumpsuits

I’m too tall, and I feel left out of the fashionable fun.

7. Mansplainers

If I’m talking about something I have lived and experienced, don’t tell me that I haven’t actually lived and experienced it.

8. BU 802.1x and the BU Shuttle

You’d think BU tuition would get us better wifi. I wrote a whole article on this, but President Brown if you’re reading this, please take all of my tuition money and put it towards more busses and a bus stop in front of 1019.

9. Uber Drivers who make you walk two blocks to their car.

If I wanted to walk I wouldn’t have called an Uber. See also: drivers who drop you off a block away from your location and drivers who ask you for directions like they don’t have Google Maps.  

10. Chris Harrison

You made Nick the Bachelor when it clearly should have been Luke.

11. Kanye West

Pro-Trump and Anti-Beyoncé? Yeah, no thanks.

12.  People who sit in the front two rows in lecture only to go on Facebook the entire lecture

If you’re not going to take notes that’s fine but sit in the back so people aren’t distracted. I came to class to learn, not to watch you stalk your ex for an hour.

13. People who move the armrest on planes

If I don’t know you that armrest stays down, keep your feet in your little foot box too.  If you wanted more space you should have sprung for economy plus.

14. Meninists

The literal worsts. No words needed.

Now don’t let this list fool you into thinking I’m some heartless girl who hates everything. I could have easily written 2016 things I am thankful for this year, but complaining is always more fun. And besides, after the year we’ve had there’s just so much to not be thankful for. What I’m most thankful for in 2016? The fact that it’s almost over.

Sophie is a junior at Boston University studying Psychology and Education. When she isn't memorizing parts of the brain or writing papers on the philosophies of teaching, she likes to dance, shop, and obsess over her pet rabbit.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.