By the time cold, dreary February rolls around, everyone seems a little miffed that the holidays have already come and gone, leaving only cold winds and snowy slush in their wake. With Valentines Day just around the corner, we came up with 14 movies that can lift your spirits just in time for Valentine’s Day.
1. A Walk to Remember – It may seem like a terribly depressing, less-than-cheerful pick, but it’s also a great love story. If you haven’t already seen it, you should. If you have, you should see it again. Consider its kind of happy, mostly sad ending a baby step to ease you into all the lovey-doviness that will most likely follow with the rest of our list.
2. Say Anything – It’s like A Walk to Remember with a happy ending.
3. Beauty and the Beast – We could probably make all fourteen of these Disney movies, but that seemed a little inappropriate, so here’s just one.
4. Pretty Woman – Money can’t buy you happiness. As my boss says “Julia Roberts is as cute as ever and Richard Gere is smokin’.”
5. Once – A musical love story. Who doesn’t love a good sing along?
6. Dirty Dancing – That lift, that lift, that lift. If you want to see an even hotter reenactment of the same move, watch Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in Crazy, Stupid, Love. If you want to see a hilarious reenactment, look up that German Retirement Home’s movie remake calendar.
7. 500 Days of Summer – A realistic look at the ups and downs of an average relationship. Sure, he loses Summer, but Autumn looks cooler anyways.
8. Shakespeare In Love – An attractive Shakespeare and a striking actress who is pretending to be an actor woo each other with fancy old-English.
9. Titanic – Even if Kate lets Jack die, Jack lets Kate let him die. Sharing is caring, but true love is catching hypothermia so Kate can have her space.
10. When Harry Met Sally – Best Friends and lovers. What more could you ask for?
11. Like Crazy – A long distance relationship movie. She can’t live with him. She can’t live without him. It will probably rip your heart out. If it doesn’t, maybe you don’t have a heart to begin with.
12. He’s Just Not That Into You – For the single collegiettes, this is a nice lighthearted movie that focuses more on liking someone then loving someone. It’s got a whole spectrum of relationships and for once it’s not all head over heels in love.
13. P.S. I Love You – Talk about an ugly cry.
14. The Notebook – Girls love it, boys at least pretend to like it. The Notebook is a classic and it isn’t even old. It’s a feel-good story that still covers a wide range of emotions. There are low-lows and high-highs. By the end you feel like you’ve gone on an emotional roller coaster. You’ll laugh, you may even cry, but most of all you will be head over heels in love with love.