This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

According to the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), movie theaters still garner more people than all theme parks and major American sports do combined. Although going to a movie theatre isn’t always cheap, a movie still provides the most affordable entertainment option. So if you want to treat yourself or a friend to a night out with plenty to talk about afterward, check out some of these movies that premiere (or already did premiere) this fall.

1. A Simple Favor (9/14)

With stars Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively running the show, A Simple Favor tells the story of a “mommy vlogger” trying to find out what really happened to her best friend Emily after she suddenly disappeared out of their small town. It’s a funny, dramatic, and extremely entertaining film with a plot twist near the end.

2. The Hate U Give (10/5)

A movie that is perfect for its time, The Hate U Give sends the message of resistance towards police brutality through the story of Starr Carter, who lives in a poor, mostly black neighborhood but goes to school at a wealthy white prep school. Reality hits Starr when she bears witness to the police shooting and death of her childhood best friend. From then on, Starr has to find her voice in the midst of an angry, unfair world to bring justice to her friend and community.

3. Mid-90s (10/25)

Directed by Jonah Hill, and set in 1990s Los Angeles, Mid-90s centers around 13-year-old Stevie who escapes a troubled house with skateboarding and a new friend group, throwing the young boy into a dangerous but exciting world.

4. A Star Is Born (10/5)

Starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born tells the intimate love story of two entertainers from opposite worlds. Ally is a struggling singer, who is discovered by Jackson Maine, a famed country artist. As Ally’s career finally takes off, her relationship with Jackson is troubled by his own problems with drugs and alcohol.

5. First Man (10/12)

Directed by Damien Chazelle (who also directed La La Land), First Man tells the story of Astronaut Neil Armstrong on his race and journey to be the first man to walk on the moon. Ryan Gosling stars as Armstrong.

6. Serenity (1/25)

Starring Matthew McConaughey as a fishing boat captain, life on the boat gets rocky when his ex-wife, played by Anne Hathaway, comes back to ask him for a favor — to murder her second husband.

7. Boy Erased (11/2)

Joel Edgerton’s adaptation of Garrard Conley’s acclaimed memoir stars Lucas Hedges as the son of a Baptist preacher who, after being outed to his parents, is pressured into gay conversion therapy.

8. Suspiria (11/2)

A spooky tale to be released just after Halloween (in case you didn’t get enough scares), Suspiria is a remake of the 1977 horror film. It tells the story of a young ballet dancer who goes to dance at a well-known academy in Berlin, but finds that there is something much more sinister going on at the academy when her classmates suddenly start dying.

9. Widows (11/16)

A heist film led by Viola Davis, Widows tells the story of four women who band together when their husbands are murdered in an attempted robbery.

10. Creed II (11/21)

Don’t worry if you haven’t seen Creed I, because Michael B. Jordan continues to bring the heat to the big screen as Adonis Creed in a different storyline. Creed II focuses on a match with Viktor Drago, the son of Ivan Drago, who killed Adonis’ father Apollo Creed in Rocky IV.

11. Mary, Queen of Scots (12/7)

If you know your history, this one is definitely for you. A famed royalty rivalry comes to life on screen, depicting Mary Stuart trying to overthrow her cousin Elizabeth I, played by Margot Robbie.

12. Under the Silver Lake (12/7)

A drama and thriller coming from It Follows director David Robert Mitchell, Under the Silver Lake shows amateur sleuth Sam (played by Andrew Garfield) on his search for a missing neighbor in Los Angeles. Underneath L.A., however, Sam discovers a much more bizarre conspiracy.

While the era of Netflix and Chill continues to take over, there is one thing that online streaming services can’t truly replicate, and that is the movie theatre experience. Going to the movies could be made into anything from the classic experience of a first date, a night out with friends, a family trip, or a treat for yourself, and that’s part of what makes it special.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Rebecca is a Senior at BU studying Journalism and Psychology. She is a Slytherin with a passion for investigative reporting.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.