11 Ways to Be the Holiday Hostess with the Mostess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Coming from a large family that lives to host huge holiday parties, I know how stressful it can be to plan and execute a get-together. Here are some tips that can ease the stress and help the party flow seamlessly! 

1. Restock everything 

Make sure the essentials are stocked — toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels, basic groceries, etc., so that you’re not running errands twenty minutes before guests arrive.

2. Do your makeup before guests arrive 

Don’t be that hostess that disappears for the first thirty minutes of her own party! Put your already-done hair in a clip, cover your outfit with a cute apron, and get to work!  

3. Load up on the pre-made food 

Less cooking means less mess to clean up at the end of the night. Also use fancy-looking plastic utensils so that you can just dump everything in the trash.  

4. Don’t heat up any food until guests arrive 

This is an easy way to make sure that all of the food— outsourced or not— will be hot at the right time. No one wants to have food shoved in their face the moment they walk in the door, so start serving about 15-20 minutes into the party. 

5. Make sure to accommodate everyone’s food requirements 

Find out all of your guests’ dietary restrictions before the party so that you can prep properly.

6. Music is a must!

Using a small yet amplified speaker can bring the holiday cheer and turn up any party! Use Pandora or Spotify preset playlists to keep a steady flow of Christmas tunes. This eliminates any possible awkward silences and can even inspire someone to bust out a move!

7. Keep the kitchen door open 

Let guests come in and help if they want! If someone offers to help, they really do want to help. 

8. Be polite to all of your guests 

Yes, this includes your brother’s new girlfriend who looks and acts like a real-life Barbie doll. Seriously, take a few deep breaths, count to 10, retract the claws, and avoid all contact.

9. Don’t brag about yourself 

Don’t boast about your food unless someone praises you. You don’t want to come off cocky! Let the food speak for you! 

10. Don’t start cleaning up until the last guest leaves 

If you start cleaning up when your guests are still there, they can feel rushed and you don’t want that! Be polite and wait until you’re alone to start cleaning. 

11. Downplay your stress 

Don’t let them see you sweat! Smile and tell them everything’s going great— even if your stove is engulfed in flames and you almost just burnt your kitchen to the ground. Leave them wondering how you threw such an amazing party without having a mental breakdown. Remember: stress transfers! 

I know throwing a party can be stressful, but you can do it, I have faith! Happy Holidays, collegiettes! 

Jamie is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication with the intention of obtaining a degree in Journalism. Her main interests include beauty and lifestyle content, as she seeks to use her extensive knowledge in the beauty industry to help out other girls and spread self-confidence. She hopes to have a career in the magazine industry as a writer. If you can't find Jamie taking a nice, long stroll down Newbury with a Starbucks vanilla iced latte in hand, you'll be sure to find her sitting on BU Beach binge-watching Netflix. Follow Jamie on Instagram: @jamshore
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis