11 Staples Every Collegiette Needs in Her Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Now that you’ve left home and mom’s seemingly bottomless credit card for the life of a frugal, yet still fashionable college babe, it’s time to make some changes about the way you shop.

Living life as an adult, you have to make your own money (gasp!), buy your own clothes (double gasp!), and still have enough money for food and basic necessities (*passes out*).

Breathe, collegiette! The secret to being impeccably well dressed on a budget, however, is now right at your fingertips. In a few words, the secret is to spend some money on a few key, classic, well-made basics to mix in with the cheap goodies you’ve collected from H&M and Forever21 over the years.

Here are 11 MUST HAVE BASICS for an out of this world closet, and how to wear them.

1. A Denim Jacket

Sure, mom has told you five hundred times to get a jean jacket, and you’ve rolled your eyes five hundred times back and ignored her. Face it— she was right. And here’s why: jean jackets literally go with everything and never go out of style! You can wear them with jeans to create a monochromatic look, a frilly dress to tone it down for daytime, a button down for a casually-smart look, and many more. Go for a urban but sweet look by pairing your jean jacket with a lacy top and olive or khaki pants and a scarf for the perfect fall ensemble.

(Get it here)

2. A Black Blazer

The classic black blazer is basically the opposite of a jean jacket. You put it on to look more dressed up and put together. Everyone knows that you mean business. Wear it with a bright dress and flats for a delicate look, with a graphic tee for more edge, or with skinny jeans and pumps— instantly sexy!

(Get it here)

3. A Frilly Tank

From class to date night, a frilly tank can be work year-round in a thousand different ways. Wear it by itself for an adorably sexy summer look, or with a blazer for an outfit ready to take on that internship!

(Get it here)

4. A Striped Tee

A black and white striped top isn’t the first thing that you think of as a staple piece, but don’t be fooled. A striped top is youthful, yet refined. More mature than polka dots, yet not as pompous as paisley, and incredibly versatile, too! Slap on a statement necklace and you look suddenly put-together and fabulous when you’re running late; or, throw on your jean jacket for a walk in the park with the cute guy from down the hall.

(Get it here)

5. Classic Skinnies

Forget the acid wash and giant holes from your high school years. Its time to find a nice versatile pair of well-made “grown-up” jeans. These are worth the investment— they’ll be flattering, and can be worn with heels, trendy sneakers, or flats.

(Get them here)

6. The LBD

Unless you’ve been living under a rock your whole life, you’ve heard time and time again from magazines that every girl needs a Little Black Dress in her life. Opt for a classic silhouette that’s sexy and sophisticated, but not too revealing. You’re going to be wearing this in the winter with tights and boots, with your jean jacket and a statement necklace on a date, or with a cute blazer at work— so make sure it’s versatile!

(Get it here)

7. A Cocktail Dress

Like the LBD, the perfect cocktail dress must be flattering. But unlike the LBD, you use this dress to make a statement. Be unique! Choose a bright color, an allover pattern, or rock the color block. Wear with a blazer, denim jacket, cardigan, and/or tights for work, dates, or the party this weekend!

(Get it here)

8. Trousers

It’s not what you think! These are not your mom’s wide-legged suit pants. Opt for a skinny pair of black pants as an alternative to jeans. Wear with your silky blouse for cocktails, or a button down for a put-together look. Make sure you get a pair that fits because they’ll quickly become your go-to bottoms!

(Get them here)

9. The Button Down

Going for a white button down seems so blasé, but you could wear one every day (and night!) if you wanted to. It works as a work blouse, going-out top, statement necklace intensifier, and fits just about every other occasion. How many tops can you say that about?

(Get it here)

10. Menswear Cardigan

This is basically like borrowing your boyfriend’s cardi for eternity. Go for a neutral color that pairs well with everything. Wear with a button down and statement necklace for a smart-yet-feminine classic look, or with a tee for those quick trips to the grocery store. You never know who you’ll meet!

(Get it here)

11. The Statement Necklace

This is where things get creative— you can go long, short, plain, or colorful! But make sure you can wear it with everything. And hey, its fine if you need more than just one). We won’t tell!

(Get it here)

Don’t be overwhelmed that you’re growing up too fast! Think about it as a gateway wardrobe to looking and feeling like a super chic adult, ready to take on the world with her well-dressed fabulousness! Go get em, collegiette!

Zoe is a Senior at Boston University in the College of Communication, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in English and Psychology, and is the Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Originally from the Washington DC area, Zoe loves going to museums, concerts, and working at Baby Gap. In her free time, Zoe can be found crafting, watching Netflix, and scoping out the latest trends. Always catch her yelling enthusiastically about something, or making really corny jokes.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.