10 Things You’ll Understand If You’ve Worked in the Food Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ever since I was 16, I’ve had various jobs in the food service industry––I’ve worked at coffee shops, sandwich shops, and ice cream places. From my experience, there are a few things that pertain to working in these places. The unique environment of the food service industry has its ups and downs, but it’s definitely full of stories to tell. It’s always fun to go home and tell everyone about the crazy things you saw while working that day.

1.Your mood really affects your tips.

If you’re super grumpy one day, the tips show it. If you want to fill the tip cup, the best option is to be very friendly to your customers and show that you are happy to be there. Even if deep down you’re counting the minutes until you leave, just fake it until you make it. I’ve personally tested this and can say it makes a big difference.

2. Your clothes will adopt the smell of your workplace.

It’s inevitable that once you leave work, the stench of the food that’s made there is permanently stuck on your clothing. I have to Febreze my jackets just so I can wear them again after. You’d think it would be nice to smell like coffee or delicious food, but when you’re surrounded by it so much you only want to get away.

3. Some customers are so picky.

There are people who have an order, especially with coffee, that you just cannot afford to mess up. These are the people who get very upset and will pick a fight if you don’t get it right. It’s unbelievable how specific people will get with you, like asking about drink temperature, the number of ice cubes, or just how toasted they want their bagel.

4. There will always be items on the menu that you dread making.

For me, this was the banana split when I worked at an ice cream place. There is a specific feeling you get when the words come from the customer’s lips and you have about 30 seconds to accept it and deal with your fate. The only upside is that many of these menu items are more expensive so if nothing else, at least the boss will be happy.

5. Sometimes it’s really hard to understand a customer and you just have to wing their order.

Whether this is because they’re a quiet person, talk too fast, or some other reason, there are customers who are hard to understand. Even after clarification, their order might not be clear, so you just have to wing it and give them what you’re pretty sure is right.

6. Remembering a regular customer’s order feels like a huge accomplishment.

When there are people who come in almost every day, you’re bound to eventually remember what they order. There’s a certain pride in seeing a regular walking in the door and being able to already have their coffee order ready when they get to the register. It’s fun to make a connection with people and learn about their lives and stay updated, even if it is only for about 5 minutes.

7. Uniforms are kind of the worst.

While it can be nice not having to think about what you wear to work, uniforms are almost always ugly and uncomfortable. No one wants to wear visors or aprons for hours on end. They get dirty quickly and you have to wash them way more than your usual clothes because you have to wear it again the next day.

8. Free food is the best perk.

When I worked at an ice cream shop, getting to bring home a cup of the mint chip every time I worked was the best. I could put whatever toppings I wanted on it and mix different flavors. It’s true that you get sick of the food there, but it’s always nice to have the option.

9. Mean bosses make you consider quitting every time they talk to you.

I’ve had my fair share of good and bad bosses. Sometimes they’re really easygoing, but other times they can be very strict. I once had a boss that made us pay for everything, even water. Having an unreasonable boss makes everything harder, especially getting days off or calling in sick.

10. Training will always be miserable.

Being the trainee is never easy. People boss you around and you make mistakes constantly. It takes a while for you to learn the ropes, but once you do, it’s gratifying to finally have the chance to train others. Plus, if you mess up, everyone just gives you a pass because you’re new.

Jobs in the food service are something most people go through when they become old enough to work. They’re fast-paced, and there is always a lot going on at once. Whether you love them or hate them, food jobs are great ways to get into the working world and make money to save (and to spend).

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.