10 Things That Are Getting Me Through Self-Isolation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Right now, we are relying on the little things in life like never before. The COVID-19 pandemic has taken over lives around the world, causing us all to uproot our daily routines and spend most of our time inside at home. That’s why I made a list of all the things currently motivating me to stay positive!

Cute Loungewear

Since I rarely get dressed up anymore, I’ve been obsessed with finding cute lounge sets to at least try and feel put together. Target and Nasty Gal have some great options if you want to get a matching set. Since we all have extra free time, maybe even try to tie-dye your own sweats from Amazon!

Glossier

Putting on highlight makes me instantly feel better. I love how easy Glossier products are. They create such an effortless, glowing look. I use the Haloscope highlighter stick daily, and finish it off with some Balm Dot Com for my lips. 

Face Masks

I’ve also had way more time to pamper my skin! I finally can try all those DIY face mask recipes I found online. As for store bought masks, I love anything from Origins or Burt’s Bees. 

Smoothies

Every morning, I wake up and make a smoothie with breakfast. It’s given me an excuse to finally use my blender and try out different combinations. It also makes me reminisce about the days when we used to have a Jamba Juice on BU’s campus.

CorePower

While working out in the gym or studio is currently a no-go, many companies are offering free online services. I had started going to CorePower yoga before the pandemic, and once I was cooped up at home I didn’t want to stop. CorePower On Demand has amazing videos that are pretty close to the real thing, minus the heated room. Sometimes, I’ll even point a small electric heater towards me while I practice to mimic the effect.

New Recipes

I have always wanted to make everything in Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings cookbook, but never had the time. Now, I’ve really been looking to the Cravings Instagram for inspiration! She has everything from quick meals, drinks, and exquisite dinners!

Animal Videos

Let’s be honest, this is probably a must for all of us. I definitely spend more time looking at cute animal videos on social media. It’s just a little something to brighten your day. My favorite account is @icanteven on Instagram. 

Starbucks Coffee

While I can’t exactly go into Starbucks for my daily latte, I can still make some at home! I love the wide variety of at home products that Starbucks offers! I usually buy their K-Cups and Refresher packets. 

Talk Shows on Instagram

Many TV hosts have taken to social media to continue to provide content for their audiences. Jimmy Fallon performs monologues with the help of his adorable daughters. Ellen DeGeneres FaceTimes different celebrities daily and creates hilarious content. 

Online Shopping

Last but not least, online shopping has become an essential right now. We are all relying on delivery services more than ever. It instills a sense of relief and normality to have the products you typically buy in-store still available somewhere. Perfect for all those cute quarantine lounge outfits. 

We are all handling social distancing and self-quarantining a little differently, but I hope some of these things will help you to create joy during your days at home. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.