10 Stages of Buying Holiday Gifts as a Broke College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With the holiday season upon us, we all face the unavoidable struggle of buying gifts for friends. Whether the result of this challenge is getting a job or making a homemade gift, it is a long and complicated process. Here are the stages we go though when buying holiday gifts as broke college students!

1. Planning out all of the amazingly cool things you are going to buy your friends this holiday season2. Slowly realizing that things cost money… lots of money!3. Remembering that you’re a broke, unemployed college student who doesn’t have the money to buy the nice gifts that your friends deserve4. Trying to buy cheaper items in hopes of finding gifts that are almost as good as the ones you planned out and ending up unsuccessful5. Trying to get a quick job6. Trying to make homemade gifts but finding out your creative skills are limited7. Asking your parents for some money and being completely denied8. Then it hits you, you’re running out of time9. Concealing your panic when your friends talk about how excited they are to exchange gifts10. Eventually settling for mediocre gifts but knowing that it doesn’t matter because the real gift is your friendship

Admit it, we all go through most, if not all, of these stages. Good luck and happy holidays, collegiettes!

Taleen is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication, pursuing a degree in journalism. She aspires to write for magazines and newspapers about current events. When she isn’t blogging or studying, Taleen enjoys spending her time discovering new music, redecorating her dorm room, taking BuzzFeed quizzes, FaceTiming her cat and searching for the most delicious cup of coffee in Boston. You can follow her on Twitter @taleensim
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis