10 Movies to Watch in Preparation for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This list is composed of thrillers, comedies, and classics that will help you get into the Halloween spirit!

1.  The Shining

Jack Torrance, played by Jack Nicholson, and his family take up residence as caretakers in an isolated hotel in the Rocky mountains.  When the family is snowed in, they discover what the hotel really holds.

2. Halloweentown

After discovering she is a witch, Marnie travels to Halloweentown with her grandmother and is tasked with saving the entire town.

3. Young Frankenstein

Gene Wilder plays Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, the grandson of a mad scientist, who is invited to Transylvania, where he completes an experiment that brings a dead body back to life.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

The King of Halloween Town, Jack Skellington, discovers Christmas Town and attempts to take over the role of Santa Claus.

5. Ghostbusters (2016)

The all-female cast reboot that is, in my opinion, better than the original.

6. Hocus Pocus

Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy play three witch sisters who are brought back to life and attempt to steal children’s souls to make themselves immortal.

7. Beetlejuice

Michael Keaton plays Betelgeuse (pronounced “Beetlejuice”), a charismatic spirit who helps a recently deceased ghost couple drive out the annoying new occupants of their home.

8. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

If you had a childhood, you will understand why this on the list!

9. Twitches

In the Disney original classic, Tia and Tamera Mowry play witch sisters, separated at birth, who meet for the first time on their 21st birthday.

10. Silence of the Lambs

This five-time Oscar winner showcases a young FBI agent played by Jodie Foster, who uses the help of the notorious Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) to catch another serial killer on the loose.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Elena is a junior at Boston University studying Film and Television and Journalism.  She likes her shows created by HBO or Shonda Rhimes and possesses an undying love for the New England Patriots.     
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.