Life > Experiences

10 Gifts That Are Perfect for Your Holiday Gift Exchange

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

White Elephant is an amazing game to play during the holidays and is a personal tradition that my family and I do every year! Over the years, I have gotten some great gifts and some weird gifts that I still appreciated nonetheless. Below, you find some great ideas for a gift exchange that will make people laugh in the weirdness of it or smile because they actually love the gift. Remember: White Elephant/Yankee Swap gifts do not always have to be strange!

1. A Reading Log

Credit: Amazon

This book is a way for all book lovers to track the books that they read. After every book someone reads, they write it in a journal and give it a review. There are also some challenges for people who are looking to read new things. I would love to open this gift, as I always forget what books I have and have not read!

2. Teapot

Credit: World Market

If you are looking for an actual white elephant (ha, get it?), then this is the perfect gift for you! This is a ceramic teapot that can be used either to brew tea or just for a cute decoration. And it is only $7!

3. Water Color Brush Pens

Credit: Amazon

These pens will give you all the feels of watercolor painting without the mess! Instead of struggling to grasp a brush, you can just use the pen to glide onto the paper. What is great about this gift is that it can be for adults or children, so no need to worry when having a family gift exchange! A set of six is $10 and a set of three is $8.

4. Succulent Tea Light Candles

Credit: Amazon

What’s better than a succulent, you might ask? Well, a succulent combined with a candle sure is! For only $10, you get a pack of twelve succulent candles. This is perfect for a plant enthusiast or just someone who does not have time to take care of a real plant.

5. Reversible Sequin Pillow Case

Credit: Amazon

Hop onto this 2018 trend and do it with sequins! This pillowcase is only $7 and comes in many different colors. This gift is the epitome of White Elephant/Yankee Swap gifts: it is a little strange and you would not normally buy it, but you are excited to get it anyway!

6. The 12 Drinking Games of Christmas

Credit: Urban Outfitters

Since this is a drinking game, this gift is probably more suitable for your friends’ gift swap than your family’s (but hey, it is your family). This game comes with twelve different games (obviously) and comes with everything you need to play—except the drinks. It is $12 and promises a boatload of fun to everyone, no matter if they celebrate Christmas or not.

7. People of Walmart Daily Calendar

Credit: Amazon

Want to see a Walmart shopper every day for a whole year? Look no further than this calendar sure to bring a lot of laughs and a lot of questions! This present will truly be a gift to anyone that opens it. This calendar is $14 and worth every penny.

8. Muffin Tops Baking Cups

Credit: Amazon

These baking cups come in a set of four and are $12. If you know someone who loves to bake or loves a little play on words, then you better add this to your cart! This gift is perfect for the holiday season because it means more food! Calories do not count during the holidays, right?

9. A Beard Beanie

Credit: Amazon

This beanie covers your head and the lower half of your face! So, if your face instantly freezes when you walk outside like me, this will keep you nice and toasty! It comes in many different colors and types of mustaches. It is $11.

10. Mermaid Tail Blanket

Credit: Amazon

I received this last year as a White Elephant gift and I can honestly tell you I feel like a mermaid whenever I use it. Usually, with blankets, my feet stick out and get cold, but this blanket prevents that problem. It comes in several colors and two different sizes. It is $13.

I hope those ten ideas help you out in finding the best White Elephant or Yankee Swap gift. Or maybe you just want to get something off this list for yourself, which is what I will probably do, so do not feel bad!

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I hope everyone has a good holiday season and an amazing homework-free break!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Peyton is a sophomore at Boston University majoring in journalism in the College of Communication and minoring in Women, Gender and Sexuality. Besides writing for Her Campus, Peyton also writes for the Daily Free Press and is a member of Students for Reproductive Freedom. In her free time, she tries to find the best places for dessert in Boston and reads along with Emma Watson's book club "Our Shared Shelf."