This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s officially the holiday season! While this is the perfect time for ice skating, baking cookies, and building snowmen, we college students may prefer to cozy up in our dorms and watch a movie. 

Fortunately for you, if you’re one of these people, I’ve compiled a list of 10 essential-viewing holiday movies to help you get into the spirit of the season. 

Most are classics, but I’ve also included a few newer-age movies that do the holidays right. Don’t binge-watch all of them in one night – or do! They’re so good, it may be hard not to!

Home Alone (1990) and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)

It wouldn’t be fair to the rest of the amazing holiday movies out there to not put these two as one item on this list. The first two Home Alone movies are some of the best, classic movies for the holidays!

The young Kevin McCallister’s schemes and wacky traps for the goofy bad guys, Harry and Marv, make for a hilarious and spirited watch that will have you rolling every time.

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

The nostalgia of this movie is incredible, what with Charlie Brown being a household name. While Charlie Brown can be somewhat of a “loser” among his friends, I’ve never rooted for someone more. 

In addition to Linus’ sentimental speech about the true meaning of Christmas, the Peanuts’ singing of “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” around Charlie Brown’s small tree is likely to produce a few tears.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is my favorite of the claymation holiday specials. Some may opt to stick to the song, but watching the story of Rudolph unfold onscreen is vital to holiday enjoyment.

The side story of the Island of Misfit Toys has such a sweet ending. Not to mention how fun the elf who dreams of being a dentist is!

Elf (2003)

Will Ferrell shines in this holiday classic as Buddy the elf, a human raised by elves at the North Pole who tries to fit into the real world and reconnect with his biological father. 

“Son of a Nutcracker!” is among the numerous one-liners from Buddy that will entertain you all holiday season long. This movie may even have you craving spaghetti with maple syrup by the end of it!

Let It Snow (2019)

A newer holiday movie, Let It Snow is an ensemble holiday rom-com that follows a few different storylines of love and friendship on Christmas. 

From a man’s secret love for his best friend, to the budding romance of two girls, to the heartwarming friendships of several Waffle Town employees looking to throw a Christmas party, there’s a storyline for everyone!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Jim Carrey’s Grinch doesn’t have the same sentiment as the Dr. Seuss book, but that’s because Carrey’s manic, wacky portrayal of the character gives this 2000 rendition of How the Grinch Stole Christmas a whole new vibe. 

If you can take some intense close-ups of a hairy, green Grinch, you’ll love this change of pace from the typical fa-la-la holiday movies!

Christmas with the Kranks (2004)

I’ve found that Christmas with the Kranks is somewhat underrated. It’s a hilariously heartwarming story of two parents who decide to “skip Christmas” when their daughter goes to college. 

If the rivalry between the Kranks and their extremely festive neighbors isn’t funny enough, their antics as they try to save Christmas when their daughter suddenly returns will have you on the floor. Hold on to your hickory honey ham!

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

A Halloween-Christmas crossover, The Nightmare Before Christmas is perfect for those looking for another change of pace in their holiday viewing! 

The score and soundtrack are gorgeous, and Jack Skellington’s scheme to take over the Christmas holiday makes for a spooky and spectacular story.

Happiest Season (2020)

For those looking for a beautifully done LGBTQ+ holiday rom-com, Happiest Season is the perfect choice. It follows a woman who wants to propose to her girlfriend on Christmas, only to realize that her girlfriend hasn’t come out to her conservative parents.

It’s a sweet story of acceptance, not wanting to ruin the holidays, and being true to yourself!

Mickey’s Christmas Carol (1983)
Disney World
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

While this Disney-fication of the Charles Dickens classic is more of a special episode than a movie, Mickey’s Christmas Carol is perfect and should be watched by all this holiday season!

Watching Scrooge McDuck learn the true meaning of Christmas is all the more meaningful when the characters are embodied by our childhood favorites.

Happy holidays, enjoy these movies!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Lauren Albano is a weekly writer at the Her Campus at Boston University chapter. At Her Campus, she shares personal experiences and reflects on different aspects of her life as a new college student. Her goal is to convey her feelings in a way that readers can relate to, helping both the reader and herself to understand and stomach the exciting, and sometimes overwhelming, college experience. Beyond Her Campus, Lauren is an opinion columnist at The Daily Free Press and a writer for Off The Cuff magazine and Boston Political Review. She works on the show On That Point on BUTV10 and interns on Listen Up! on WTBU radio. She is currently a freshman at Boston University, majoring in Journalism. In her free time, Lauren enjoys playing soccer and flag football and going for walks along the Charles River. She likes to listen to music and podcasts, read literary fiction, and make cold brew coffee in her dorm. She also loves to write outside of her journalistic work and dreams of publishing her first book one day. She is an avid fan of Big Brother when she isn’t rewatching The Office or Impractical Jokers. Her all-time favorite movie is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.