books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The 10 Best: Comedy, News, Lifestyle, Mystery and Criminal Podcasts for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether you’re walking to class or taking the T, podcasts are always a fun and entertaining way to pass the time. I’ve been listening to podcasts for years and compiled a list of the ten best podcasts ranging from comedy to crime. Check them out!

Up First

This well-known podcast is produced by NPR. It is my favorite way to start the day. When I am getting ready in the morning or walking to class, I often turn this on. The podcast gives a brief and concise overview of the most important news events for the day. What I love about this podcast is usually the episodes are only five to ten minutes long. If you are in a rush or are like me and get bored easily, this podcast is perfect. It is also a good way to stay informed about current events!

The Daily

Similar to Up First, this podcast also covers current events. The difference is this podcast is often longer or more detailed. The episodes are usually fifteen to twenty minutes long. They also focus on one or two specific events and dive deeper into them rather than giving a brief overview of all the current events for the day. If you are interested in politics and current events, this is a great podcast. It’s a good way to learn the details of specific events happening in our world. 

The Skinny Confidential

I am OBSESSED with this podcast. The host is Lauryn Evarts Bosstick and her podcast is about her lifestyle. She is incredibly inspiring and covers all topics related to beauty, fashion, and wellness. Not only does she cover these topics, but she also talks about creating a business and inspiring other people to be the best versions of themselves. During her episodes, she always has her husband on too (goals). She also frequently brings on guests and interviews them for their business and lifestyle advice too. If you get a chance, you should also check out her Instagram page for home, beauty and fashion inspiration! 

Girls Gotta Eat

This podcast always puts me in a better mood. The hosts are two females who are best friends and hilarious. They cover ALL topics and manage to deliver all of them in the funniest way possible. If you are a college student, I would highly recommend this one because it is SO relatable. The podcasts also have no exact order. They cover so many different topics that you can jump around and always find one that interests you!

Absolutely Not

Heather McMahan might be the funniest person ever and the host of this amazing podcast. Heather is a comedian and always manages to make me laugh even when I’m in the worst mood. I have been walking around in public and literally started laughing out loud. She interviews a lot of people in her podcasts, including her own mom who is just as funny as her. Also, check out her stories on Instagram to bring a sense of humor to your day!

Living Fully

This podcast is incredibly inspiring and motivational. This podcast is all about being the best version of yourself. The host discusses her own personal struggles and how she worked through them. She also gives advice on how to work towards a happier, healthier life. This podcast is centered around mental health. I would highly recommend this podcast to anyone and believe everyone should listen!

Dr. Death

This dark and mysterious podcast revolves around one doctor. It is based on a true story and is incredibly chilling.The episodes are long but once you start it, you won’t be able to stop. I finished this podcast within two days because it was so good. If you like true crime or mysteries, I would definitely try this podcast!

Dirty John

Yet another crime podcast, this one is by far my favorite. This podcast is all about manipulation, mystery, and lies. The podcast follows the life of one family and how one individual changed their lives forever. This podcast was so popular that it was even made into a show. Each episode goes in chronological order and tells a story so thrilling you will not believe it. Check it out and then watch the series on TV!

CRIMINAL 

This is a true-crime podcast that focuses on individual stories or events that have occurred. The episodes don’t go in any particular order; therefore, you can pick whichever ones interest you the most. The episodes aren’t super long, but are incredibly creepy and entertaining. If you love crime stories, you will love this podcast. 

Imagined Life

This is my favorite podcast to listen to on long car rides. It’s perfect for passing the time. It’s very engaging and interactive. The podcast tells the story or life of one well-known person starting at an early age. However, you don’t know who the person is until the very end. The podcast drops hints along the way however it’s up to you to guess who it is before the episode is over! Each episode tells the story of a different person so there is no specific order. This is a great podcast to listen to with a group of people or just alone!

These podcasts are the best and worth every single second of your time. When you’re bored of listening to music or just want to do something different, listen to one (or all) of these podcasts! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.