You’ll Never Guess What This Artist Is Doing to Your Favorite TV Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

In my Narratives of Latinidad English class, we’ve been discussing various Latinx cultural producers — Julio Salgado is one of them. In his art, Salgado gives space for all identities, especially queer, black, brown and undocumented ones. One of Salgado’s projects involves him recasting classic TV shows with people of color, and the results are amazing.

Take a look at some images from the project and Salgado’s descriptions of them:

Image courtesy of Julio Salgado

“My version of Gilmore Girls is based on my mom and sister. When we first moved to the U.S. and my sister became really ill, my mom gave her one of her kidneys. That’s a bond that they will cherish for the rest of their lives.”

Image courtesy of Julio Salgado

“My version of Friends is set in Oakland. They are mostly college students of color that met at a multicultural center. You’ll see them at protests and rolling deep at First Fridays rolling their eyes at white people taking up too much space.”

Image courtesy of Julio Salgado

“These are the Sex and the City girls I’d be friends with!”

Image courtesy of Julio Salgado

“This Full House is a Filipino family and it’s set in Daly City. The oldest daughter is undocumented and the youngest two were born in the U.S. Also, uncle Jesse is queer.”

Salgado is doing super important work to put all identities on screen. I’ll definitely be following what he does in the future.

You can check out all of Salgado’s art at his website here!

Maria Bohan

Bryn Mawr '21

I'm a Bryn Mawr College junior who still gets excited about the little things in life. English major/Education minor.
Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021