Top Ten Reasons Why Fall is The Best Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Although it’s a bit of a struggle to say goodbye to the dog days of summer and start hitting the books again, the perks of autumn arriving are definitely worth it. Here are just ten reasons why fall is the best season.

1. Leaves falling and changing colors. When you’re walking around campus, nothing beats the beautiful fall foliage that greets you at every turn. Red, orange, yellow, crisp brown – whatever color they take, the leaves changing and drifting around you is a sight to behold. Engulfing your senses even more, nothing beats their crunch as you walk through them!

2. Cooler weather. Yes, the struggle is real when you have to bid adieu to your bikini for a while. However, nothing is better than not feeling like you’re going to die of heat stroke whenever you go outside. Isn’t it wonderful to be able to take really long walks (and even runs if that’s your thing) in the great outdoors without overheating?

3. Fall fashion. Oversize sweaters in an array of gorgeous colors; leggings; scarves; and most importantly, boots! All of these can now be purchased at your favorite stores now, so you have an excuse to shop until you drop at Target. And everyone looks better in an oversize sweater – that’s just a fact.

4. Pumpkin picking. One of the most adorable and instagrammable moments of the year happens in fall. It’s a blast to gather all your besties and run around a pumpkin patch, choosing the prettiest ones to decorate and carve. The cooler weather means the fun can go for hours!

5. Pumpkin everything. Pumpkin picking, pumpkin carving, pumpkin decorating, pumpkin flavored bread/cookies/cake, Starbucks bringing back the pumpkin spice latte – all the glorious factors associated with this food comes back in full force around fall.

6. Halloween. The best holiday of the year is in fall. There’s nothing like dressing up as whatever you want, going to dance parties with your friends, taking little ones trick-or-treating (or going yourself, if you believe you’re never too old), curling up around a blazing fire and watching a scary movie or a family classic like It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

7. New pop culture events. Some of the best TV shows come out during fall, or premiere their new seasons. Being able to decompress in front of a new season of Grey’s Anatomy is hard to beat. There’s also a ton of new music and books that get released in fall.

8. The start of a new school year. I’m not talking about finals, obviously. However, there’s something about a new school year that just generates determination. Whether you want to slay your sport, tackle a really challenging class, or just not procrastinate as much as you did last semester, now is the perfect time to do it.   

9. New school supplies. Along with the new school year, you also get to go buy as many adorable school supplies as you want. Don’t let anyone tell you that dinosaur pencil sharpener is silly; you need it to pass Calculus!

10. Netflix. Yes, I know Netflix is available four seasons a year. It’s just more satisfying and not as anti-social to binge-watch the revival of Gilmore Girls with the cold wind gusting past, carrying the leaves along with it.

Happy Fall, collegiates!   

Works Cited

“Google Images.” Google Images. N.p., n.d. Web.

Samantha is a sophomore at Bryn Mawr College majoring in English. She's originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and can confirm that the winters are just as cold as you've heard. She's passionate about books, writing, girls' education, and Harry Styles. If she's not in class, you can find her studying in the library, grabbing brunch with her friends, or taking a yoga class. If you want to read Samantha's past work, you can find it on the Her Campus Bryn Mawr section.