This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Taylor Swift is one of this generation’s greatest singer and songwriter. Whatever emotion you’re feeling or experience you’re going through, there’s a song in her discography that can perfectly encapsulate it. She has five albums, all unique and amazing in their own right. Her sixth album, Reputation, finally drops on November 10th. Taylor hasn’t released a new album since 1989 came out in 2014, so the excitement is palpable! In honor of Reputation’s impending debut, here’s a ranking of her top ten songs.

10. Style

One of the singles from Taylor Swift’s 1989 album, this song is an addictively catchy one that describes an on and off again relationship. She’s stuck in it, singing that “we never go out of style.” It’s also a homage to Taylor’s fashion sense, with her “red lip classic thing” that the boy in this song likes. The song was even used in a Target commercial! It definitely earns a spot on this list.

9. Ours

An adorable song from Taylor Swift’s album Speak Now, this has more of a country vibe and describes a misunderstood-from-the-outside relationship; on the inside, it’s perfect. “Ours” is a testimony to a love and relationship that’s right for you, even if people don’t agree. Taylor sings about how “there’s always someone who disapproves,” but modifies it by exclaiming that “it’s not theirs to speculate if it’s wrong.” The music video is endearing as well, starring Taylor and Zach Gilford of Friday Night Lights fame.

8. Enchanted

This whimsical song is perfect for listening to when you want to feel like you’re part of a fairytale. Taylor sings about how enchanted she was to meet someone at a party; she eloquently describes becoming infatuated with someone after just one meeting, and all the feelings that come along with it. This track is from Taylor Swift’s third album, Speak Now.

7. Out of the Woods

With a music video that’s just as intriguing as the song, “Out of the Woods” is firmly on this list. Chronicling a doomed from the start relationship, this song is one of Taylor’s that has a more pop vibe, with the beating drums throughout the chorus and its anthemic sound overall. It’s also supposedly written about Harry Styles, adding something else to draw the listener in.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

6. Dear John

One of Taylor Swift’s more heart-wrenching ballads that she wrote (along with the entirety of Speak Now) when she was only nineteen, this song is about her relationship with John Mayer. It’s a wonderful description of heartbreak; the what ifs and blame that follow a breakup are reflected beautifully here. It’s one of Taylor’s longer songs, clocking in at about six and a half minutes, but every second is worth it!

5. You Are in Love

A lesser known ballad from Taylor Swift’s discography, this song is a bonus track off of 1989. She was inspired by her friend Lena Dunham’s relationship with her boyfriend, and sings about how they’re best friends and that their love can be “heard in the silence.” It’s an amazingingly beautiful song that deserves all the praise it can get!

4. New Romantics

Another bonus track off of 1989, “New Romantics” is a pop hit with a message about friendship and not letting your naysayers bother you. Taylor describes the nasty words of people, singing that “she could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw” at her. She modifies that in the chorus, remarking that “the best people in life are free.” This is a great song to jam out to with your closest friends!

3. The Story of Us

One of Taylor Swift’s most incisively written songs, “The Story of Us” is the story (hence the title!) of her relationship with Joe Jonas. She laments about how they can’t talk at all anymore after the breakup, singing that “the story of us looks a lot like a tragedy now.” For anyone who’s ever experienced a breakup, this song is a must listen to.

2. All Too Well

“All Too Well” could basically be the older sibling of “Dear John.” It’s the perfect song to listen to after a breakup; it describes all the emotional ups and downs a person can experience in about five and a half minutes. The alluring beginnings of a relationship that are filled with joy, its bitter and angry end and the confusing and depressing aftermath; all the feelings that come along with that timeline are encapsulated in this amazing song off of Taylor Swift’s fifth album, Red.

1. Blank Space

The main single off of 1989, “Blank Space” is arguably Taylor Swift’s most iconic song. Making fun of the media and the constant criticisms they lodge against her, like how she’s a serial dater and only dates guys to write about them, Taylor spins this vitriol on its head and utilizes it for her own gain in the form of this stunning song. It also has one of her best music videos, starring her and male model Sean O’Pry, and one of her most famous lyrics, “darling I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream.” This incisive hit definitely deserves its #1 standing!

Taylor Swift is one of the most gifted songwriters of our generation, and these ten songs are just a sampling of the work she’s created. Go listen to all of her albums, and get excited for Reputation to debut on November 10!

Samantha is a sophomore at Bryn Mawr College majoring in English. She's originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and can confirm that the winters are just as cold as you've heard. She's passionate about books, writing, girls' education, and Harry Styles. If she's not in class, you can find her studying in the library, grabbing brunch with her friends, or taking a yoga class. If you want to read Samantha's past work, you can find it on the Her Campus Bryn Mawr section.
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.