Three Reasons Fencing is the Greatest Sport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

I have been fencing since my sophomore year of high school. Now, as a college freshman, I can say with certainty that I enjoyed it far more than any other sport I have done. Here’s why:

1. Safest sport

Despite being a sport where two people attempt to “stab” at each other, fencing is one of the safest sports with a low amount of sustained injuries. A study conducted during the 2008 Olympics examined injuries sustained by athletes while competing and practicing. Results show that fencing is one of the safest sports, behind sailing, canoeing/kayaking, rowing, synchronized swimming and diving. It’s safe because despite using a sword to attack your opponent, you wear an incredible amount of safety equipment; including a plastic chest protector, a jacket made out of a canvas like material, and of course a mask. Plus, there is no contact at all, other than the stabbing. And when there is contact, the judge will stop the bout, and may even penalize one or both of the fencers for the contact.

That’s right – fencing is safer than badminton.

2. Fencing offers a great workout

Fencing is a great workout, not only do you have to run, stretch, and condition train, but you’re so distracted while you’re fencing that you don’t realize how much work you’re putting into it. Imagine maintaining a squat position for anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes. Add moving back and forth and lunging repeatedly, and you’ve got yourself a fun workout. Speaking of which…

3. Super fun!

Anyone can fence. No matter your skill level or physical condition, you are welcome to participate – especially at Bryn Mawr. In fact, everyone who fences (especially the Bryn Mawr Fencing Club) is super welcoming and friendly.