yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

The Songs You Need in Your Fall Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

If you’re like me, you think that fall is a great time for listening to nostalgic and vaguely melancholy tunes. There’s something about the colder air and the coziness of being indoors that really inspires my playlists (plus, I just really love sad music). So here are some song suggestions to help you get into the fall vibe!

Dark Side of the Gym by The National

This song, to me, is extremely nostalgic-sounding and full of melancholy, and it’s perfect for a contemplative and introspective fall walk.

Hard Feelings/Loveless by Lorde

Lorde is one of my absolute favorite artists, and “Hard Feelings/Loveless” has the line “it’s time to let go of this endless summer afternoon” that makes it perfect for fall and moving on.

Silent Way by Milo Greene

Autumn is a time of change, and Milo Greene’s “Silent Way” embraces this fully with one of my favorite lyrics ever: “When we’re older, can I still come over?” The overall melody just invokes feelings of crunching through autumn leaves that I can’t quite explain, but I love.

Sincerity is Scary by The 1975

The 1975 has been putting out bop after bop from their upcoming November album “An Inquiry into Online Relationships,” but “Sincerity is Scary” is less boppy and more slow and introspective-sounding, making it great for the sad and depressing fall playlist we’re curating together.

In a River by Rostam

If you’re not already listening to former Vampire Weekend keyboardist Rostam, you definitely should be. His solo work is so dreamy, and the production of his songs is always quite interesting. His newest single “In a River” is no exception and really makes me want to be in love.

Shrike by Hozier

Hozier, as we all know, is a forest spirit who occasionally takes the form of a human man to release poetic and otherworldly music before retreating back into his bog. “Shrike” is my favorite from his new EP “Nina Cried Power,” and it’s so perfectly melancholy and tinged with regret and longing.

Here’s a link to my playlist if you want to listen on Spotify!

Hannah Gruen

Bryn Mawr '22

Hannah is a senior at Bryn Mawr College majoring in Literatures in English. She is passionate about the color yellow, dogs of all kinds, and filling her playlists with sad indie women. She can often be found with an oat milk latte and a book.
Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021